Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ways to cut down on electric usage [resolved}

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
My bill has recently hit a month high. Just started turning on my comp for 1 month straight and the bill went insane on me.

What i did was to have my monitor set to stand-by after 5 mins of idle. Apart from there, i did not configure any stuffs. Can i configure other stuffs further? Also, basically everytime i have my comp on, im running a bot, diablo 2's (an online game). And my cpu usage is always 100 percent. If u need more infos regardless of wad, let me know.

Also if u tink i might need a program to help u further, a link on that would be appreciated and would certainly speed things up. I have close to zero knowledge on computer stuffs unfortunately. =/

Advertisements

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
bump plz

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
any help plz?

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I read one time that the computer doesn't sap the electricity -- it's the printer. I don't think the computer is hiking up your bills. You might look at some other things.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
ya, recently i heard that computer just takes up the same electricity as a light bulb. However im worried cos since i started botting, my bill went up from $270 to the current $330. It has never even hit $300 before i started leaving my comp on for a month straight. So i cant think of other reasons except for the computer's usage =/

Btw, does the 100% cpu usage contributes to the electrical bill as well? Also, I've 3 fans installed, will that contribute too? =/

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
http://michaelblueja.../computers.html

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
hey man, thx alot.. thats a wonderful site with basically all the infos i'll ever need... kudos to u =)

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
You're welcome. ;) Have a great weekend. :tazz:

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Saw this story and remembered your question:

[QUOTE] Power-hungry PCs cost users dear
People who cannot be bothered to turn off their computers properly are costing both the environment and their own pockets dear, a study has concluded.

Computer magazine PC Pro measured the electricity consumed by PCs, printers and TVs.

It found many devices were extremely hungry when it comes to eating power.

But a few minor adjustments could save people hundreds of pounds.

Turn it off

A CRT (cathode ray tube) monitor left on during the day and in standby mode during the night costs an equivalent in electricity over five years as a brand new flat screen monitor, it found.

For example, a Taxan CRT monitor uses 135 Watts(W) when working and 4W in standby and will cost £150 in electricity over five years.

Bad practice in UK offices means many employees do not bother turning their computer off at all when they leave in the evening.

"If the screensaver is running then the monitor isn't in standby mode and it can be drawing over 100W," said PC Pro's deputy lab editor Nick Ross.

This could add up to a substantial sum when multiplied by the number of monitors in an office building.

"It would be worth many companies actually paying an employee extra to go round turning things off at the end of the day," he said.

Computers even consume electricity when they have been turned off, although a change to the settings or investing in a special power strip can cut off the entire electricity supply to the computer and its peripherals.

Saving cash

"Most people could easily save £100 a year and a small-to-medium sized company should easily cut £5,000 off its bills just by following our advice," said Mr Ross.

The picture is slightly better when it comes to TVs.

While older models can suck up 13W in standby mode, newer ones were far more environmentally friendly.

The Sony Wega widescreen and Philips flat screen TV used less than 1W when in standby, the results showed.

To highlight the issue of wasted electricity, PC Pro has launched a Switch IT Off campaign, designed to make users and manufacturers more aware of the true cost of owning electronics.

"Even if you can't be bothered to save the planet, at least save yourself a few bob," said Mr Ross.