Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system restore

• Please log in to reply

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
hey guys,
few weeks ago i noticed that System Restore never seemed to have any restore points for me...so i followed what's suggested here: stopped the service, restarted it, and created a new restore point. It worked fine again for a while after that, but now it seems System Restore only keeps points for a week! after that all the points are gone until i/the system creates a new one...

no big deal actually, but i'd feel better if i had stable restore points--you never know when something's about to go wrong! :whistling:

any suggestions are welcome...thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It can also depend on the amount of drive space allocated to system restore

Click start, help and support, undo changes with system restore, system restore settings to see what the percentage is, 12% by default, any reduction to this will mean it clears older points sooner

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
it IS set to 12%...but i only have about 10% free space on my C: drive. Should I just turn off System Restore on that drive, and turn it on for D: ? THAT one still has around 30%...thanks for the quick response...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See what you make of it but you cannot exclude the drive windows is on, so the thing is to exclude D or move files to D to increase the space on C which has windows as being able to restore that is the important thing. With 10% free on C, system restore will have been adjusted down to match

SUMMARY

This article describes how you can use the System Restore utility to alphabetize drive letters and how you can configure the System Restore utility to exclude drives.

MORE INFORMATION

You can use the System Restore utility to exclude the drive letters that you do not want monitored whenever changes occur. The System Restore utility also enables you to specify the amount of hard disk space that is available to track any changes.

Drive letters are listed in the following order:

• The system drive is listed first, followed by the remaining drives in alphabetical order.

• The system drive is the drive in which Windows is installed or from which Windows runs. The system drive is listed first because it cannot be excluded without disabling the System Restore utility. Non-system drives can be individually configured and excluded from the System Restore utility.
To configure or to exclude a drive from the System Restore utility, perform the following steps:

1. Click Start and click Control Panel.

2. In Control Panel, click System or click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

3. Click the System Restore tab, and then select the drive that you want to configure or to exclude.

4. Click the Settings button and make the changes you want.
For further information on how to manage and configure the System Restore utility by means of a program, refer to the Software Development Kit (SDK)

http://support.micro...kb/287505/en-us

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
right. followed your suggestion and moved files from one drive to the other...hopefully more of the restore points will be kept from now on...really appreciate your input. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well