Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP user account not working

• Please log in to reply

Pierre Jordaan

Pierre Jordaan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently deleted adware viruses using Dr Spyware as my system (XP Professional) was running very slow. I tried to disable programs running in the background as well and now my user account will not function. I have two users (myself and my wife- both are set up as the admin). My wife’s user is functioning.
I am able to log in to my user desktop but I get the message,” referenced memory,…, the memory could not be written”. If I need to use the IBM recovery CD my main concern would be backing up my email account (outlook). I cannot access outlook as the user account is not functioning…

I want to avoid a reinstall, as I do not have the original XP operating system- preloaded by IBM.

Is there a free patch/ ‘fix’ program one can run to install the missing files?
How do I fix this problem with my user account?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Pierre Jordaan...

It would appear that your user account has become corrupt. You'll have to create a new user account and recover the files from the old one. See this Microsoft Article for the steps to take to accomplish this.

wannabe1

Pierre Jordaan

Pierre Jordaan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you very much for the quick reply!!
I will try this tonight and let you know if I was successful...
Regards