Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

do I solve this? PC failed to boot at checkpoint VMGR

• Please log in to reply

Bone54

Bone54

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 8200. When I start it up, It just gets past the Dell flash screen and stops with the cursor flashing in the upper left hand corner. When the setup option comes up in the upper right hand corner of the screen and I press F2 it states entering setup and then to the cursor flashing in the upper left again. After Ctrl-Alt-Del 3 or 4 times the error message comes up that the PC failed at checkpoint VMGR.

Any suggestions???

Thanks,

Dave

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try this first

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XPthe article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 315222

Try tapping F8 as you boot to see if you can choose safe mode

Alert! Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint [nnnn]. For help in resolving this problem, please note this checkpoint and contact Dell Technical Support. The system has failed to complete the boot routine three consecutive times for the same error. See "Getting Help" for instructions on obtaining technical assistance, and report the checkpoint code (nnnn) to the support technician.

From their forums

VMGR is the PNP/PCI configuration checkpoint. Try removing the scsi card or any other PCI devices to see if the system will post.

This is for their support wizard

http://support.dell....=dhs&treeid={0}

Bone54

Bone54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
:whistling: Thank you all for the quick reply back to me on this issue. I want to give you and update on what I have tried so far. I was using a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse. I tried the F8 to get to the boot option menu with no luck, I also tried using F12 as during the flash screen it shows in the upper right corner F2 for setup and F12 for boot options. I changed out the keyboard and mouse with a PS2 just in case the wireless has anything to do with it.

Additional information on my system I am running Windows XP Professional with SP2 and all the updates. My system has been running with out a hiccup and I just rebooted to this situation.

OK after everything when I am trying to boot up and hit the F8 it still ends with the cursor in the upper left of the screen. Then after 3 or 4 Ctrl Alt Del I get the original message I posted before. Again thank you

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It should be F12 but try tapping F5 as it boots

Bone54

Bone54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
:whistling: :blink: :confusred I have over gone all of the all of the issues that you have helped me on so far and I thank you, Now the problems deals with the monitor and Vidieo card. Now the monitor is a big Sony 20" flat screen and it works great with my computer, now on the vidieo card from my kids computer is workingon and off. Is there a way of testing the boards?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you know the make and model of the video card

Bone54

Bone54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I guess I hit the wrong button when I tried to send the last one over. I am sending a couple pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for everyones help
Dave

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything