Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer and msn email not working ?

• Please log in to reply

Wayfr

Wayfr

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello everyone, My problem is a non functioning Internet Explorer. When you hit the icon to bring the page up, the window populates but the web and address bars are non functional...you can not do a search in the browser. You can browse through Firefox though...no problem.You just can't use Internet Explorer, even in safe mode. Any suggestions would be appreciated .

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello Wayfr.

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :whistling:

Wayfr

Wayfr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello computerwiz12890, thanks for having a look at my problem. I'm not sure if I executed this properly?
If not I'll redo.

Wayfr

Wayfr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Here you go, computerwiz12890 , I think this is what you wanted.

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yes, you did it correctly. It looks good to me. Must be a problem with Internet Explorer itself.

A number of XP users have reported situations with Internet Explorer 6 becoming corrupted and reporting a number of different errors. While there is certainly no guarantee, the two procedures listed below have restored functionality to IE6 for many users experiencing problems.

Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318378 How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

Wayfr

Wayfr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello again computerwiz12890. Here's the news. I tried earlier in the day, checking the Windows scan, with no results. I again ,just now, gave it another shot... no results. On the second method, my search window,get this, doesn't function... I mean there is no text that usually is visible in the left pane of the window when I tried to bring up the search window. You can not do a search from my search window pane. I'm sliding over to the other users logon...maybe theirs is working.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

I'm sliding over to the other users logon...maybe theirs is working.

Let me know how that goes.

If no success, I have a tool that may Repair/Reinstall IE for you. You still need your XP CD in order for this tool to work.

Wayfr

Wayfr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ok, my search window is definitely corrupted...I'll have to repair that. System Restore is another non functioning item. The other users Search Window did work. Followed instructions up to the point of right clicking
"ie.inf" and click install. A smaller window appeared stating..."files needed...iexplorer.exe...on SP2." Also asked... "type the path where the file is located and click OK" There's a small box for that info. Am I doing that right? I'm not sure?

Wayfr

Wayfr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
computerwiz12890, when you get a minute show me that tool to repair IE and I'll have a shot at it. If that is unsuccessful...what's next...re and re OS????

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
ah yes, Dial-a-fix may be simpler than either of those methods. The reason I didn't suggest it in the first place is because I didn't have instructions made for it. I will make them now.

Make sure IE is closed before doing this.

Download Dial-a-fix from http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

When you download it, double-click on it to extract all of its files. Then open the folder it creates. Double-click on the file called Dial-a-fix.

At the bottom, click on Tools. Scroll down to Repair/Reinstall IE and click on it. Make sure your Windows XP CD is inserted. Now click on GO. When it is done fixing, restart your computer and see if Internet Explorer is working properly.

Since this will be the first time I have asked someone to use Dial-a-fix to repair IE, I don't know if you'll encounter any messages during the repair process. If you do, tell them to me so I can guide you and add it to my instructions in the future.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 17 June 2006 - 12:43 PM.

Advertisements

Wayfr

Wayfr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Executed the re and re with the "Dial-a-Fix". During the process a window may come up for the other users, as it did with me, listing some Restrictive Policies in the Registry that might impact "Dial-a-Fix".Place a check mark beside each entry and click "Remove" which is at the bottom of the window. That done the prompts continue.
A confirmation box opens towards the end of the show and asks to confirm "reset setting to Default".Those are the boxes you might mention to others.

In my case this reinstall had no impact to the problem I have. I did discover that my "iedw.exe" wasn't present in my files (crash detection program), but corrected that with the CD. I had previously ran the Window Repair
in my registry this morning and nothing resulted...a mystery. This program basically did the same exercise except you need not go into the Start > Run and lay down the string. Dial-a-Fix may help other casualties.

Computerwiz12890, I'm surprised that all this work we've done hasn't resulted in a repair. Have you got any suggestions?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Aha, I think I may have spotted your problem. I looked at your HijackThis log again. You have Zone Alarm. When you install Zone Alarm, it asks you what your internet browser will be. No doubt you choose Fire Fox. Firewalls are not intelligent. You must train them. Some are a bit smart, but still need to be trained.

So, I'm assuming that Zone Alarm is only allowing FireFox to access web material. While this would seem dumb to us, that it only allows FireFox and not IE, it is certainly a possibility.

This may be off, but let's give it a try. Remove Zone Alarm. Restart your computer and try it again.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 17 June 2006 - 03:14 PM.

Wayfr

Wayfr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
OK, I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and tried to bring up IE. Still the same...IE window comes up and populates, but is non-functional. My short cut to my email window pulls up a blank window. Its interesting that along with the IE not working, my Search Window, email and System Restore and who knows what else doesn't work!!!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
yes, it seems this is problem is not isolated to IE. Thank you for reminding me about the other non-functioning programs,

Try the following suggestions. If one doesn't work, move on to the next.

1. Insert your Windows XP CD. Go to Start, Run, type sfc.exe /scannow and press enter. When it is finished, restart your computer and see if your problem still exists. If you have any trouble running this, check out the following link: http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

2. Go to Start, Run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally, then the monitor will show progress of the scan, rather than going to Windows. Do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

3. Repair Windows XP. You will need an XP CD in order to do this. If you're not sure how to do a repair, check out the following link: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

If you have problems, here is an alternate way to repair XP:

Alternate XP Repair Method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system. After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates and possibly your video card driver.

Microsoft Update

Edited by computerwiz12890, 17 June 2006 - 04:34 PM.

Wayfr

Wayfr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
OK, just to bring you up to date. Early this morning I did a scan and disk check on this PC with no positive results. This time around was the same...no change. I'm about to start Windows Repair. I'll keep you posted. Thanks, computerwiz12890.