Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HOW TO STOPR IE BROWSER FROM PLACING WINDOWS FILES IN HISTORY

• Please log in to reply

Sandiaman

Sandiaman

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My IE browser is placing all my recently accessed files in my browsing history with a link. How can i stop this?

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
hi there Sandiaman, Welcome to Geeks to Go :whistling:
i am a bit confused on what you are asking but let me try to awnser it.
Go to Tools>Internet Options>general>history>then set the number of days to zero, that should stop it from taking history of the sites you have visited. But normal browsing does include something that is known as a cache. i am unsure if you are trying to stop your browser from taking the sites you vist or something else.

hope this helps!

Sandiaman

Sandiaman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Actually it is listing "My Documents" and recent files i have accessed in my history file. So I am worried about confidentiality of some of the documents on my hard drive. Is there a way to stop just these files from showing up in my history folder?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Go to Tools>Internet Options>general>history>then set the number of days to zero, that

i could be wrong...but i believe that in the history...setting the retention to 0 actually makes it so that it never deletes the history automatically (as with most windows programs and settings...0 generally means no lilmit)

so like..you open up a word document...monkey around with it...then close it...then when you open up internet explorer that file is listed in the history?

Sandiaman

Sandiaman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes, I don't really care about my other history just my word and excel files. Are they more suseptible to outsider if listed in internet history?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...they shouldn't be accessable to anyone who's not sitting infront of your computer (as far as being in the internet history...still not sure why they're showing up there)....if someone were to gain access to your computer from outside...then they'd have access to the files whether they were in the history or not