Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New XP Pro install not working right

• Please log in to reply

susangarwood84

susangarwood84

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I recently purchased a new Dell Inspiron 1150 notebook. It came loaded with Windows xp home edition. I work at a small public library with several computers, and I purchased XP Pro to upgrade them from windows 98. They are working well. I installed the XP Pro (yes, I bought enough lisences) on the new laptop and it's not working so well. I can't access the internet or get on the local network. I tried it before the install, with the xp home and it was working. Now with XP it can't find the network hardware. I also can't change the screen resolution.

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
You need to download and install the lastest drivers for the video device. Head over to Dells Download Section and enter the model of your computer in the drop down boxes. If you dont know that information some where on the case should be the Service Tag, enter that in the Service Tag box and press the blue arrow. Hope that this helps.

susangarwood84

susangarwood84

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
There were a lot of options for network/video devices to pick a download. So I went to device manager and under "other devices" there are big fat yellow question marks by everything. I don't know which driver(s) I need.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
all of them (for xp).

I know that sounds flip, but even if Windows XP has the drivers, the drivers on the website are more recent.

Installing a driver over a driver will not harm your computer. Some will advocate removing old drivers first to get that extra fps in a first person shooter game, but unless you have to have that frame, I think in your case, it is overkill

susangarwood84

susangarwood84

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I go to the downloads page and put in my service tag, OS, and choose network drivers. There is a list of 12. I don't think I need all 12 possibilities. I don't know which devices I have, so I don't know what drivers I need. I'm not too skilled at this stuff.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Ahh, I see what you mean...I apologize. You have 12 network drivers present. Gotcha.

It slipped my mind how Dell will slap a billion different pieces of hardware in the same machine depending on their mood, the phase of the moon, and what's on TV that night.

http://support.dell....en&s=dhs&~tab=2

Punch in your service tag here and Dell should tell you what hardware is in your machine