Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data Recovery from DVD+RW

• Please log in to reply

roguefrog

roguefrog

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok, long story short, my computer was consumed by spyware. I backed up all my data by burning it to a DVD+RW then reformatted the Windows partition. Nice and clean install now. When I went to unload my backed up data, the DVD+RW refuses to be read resulting in [Not Responding]. I close the window down and get the typical [End Now] prompt. The desktop goes blank for several seconds (icons, start menu disappear) then everything reappears. Is there any way I can get the data off the DVD+RW?

Specs:

P4B266 Asus Motherboard
Intel Pentium 4 1.60GHz
512MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900XT
CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
DVD R/RW Drive
Windows XP Pro SP2

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geekstogo.

When you want quality, never go with a RW, especially a DVD-RW. And always verify your burned data with a 3rd party program, whether it's R or RW.

If you want to check and see if the DVD is readable, you can Download Nero CD-DVD Speed. After you download it, unzip it to your desktop. No installation is necessary, just double-click on it and it will start. Here's how to use it:

1. Put DVD with data into the drive.

2. At the top, click on Extra > Scan Disk.

3. At the bottom, check the box next to Surface Scan. Click on Start

4. When it is finished, click on Save and save the results to a location you can easily find. Attach those results in a reply to me.

roguefrog

roguefrog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Looks like I can't even begin the scan. An [Error] popup is displayed after clicking start.

There wouldn't be a way to revert back before the format?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Impossible to revert back.

Depending on your format, you may be able to recover something. Was it a Full format or a Quick format?

roguefrog

roguefrog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Full NTSF file system

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Full format = Total erasure of data

Only possible method of recovery would be sending the hard drive into a special shop. It would require using a tunneling electron microscope (or something like that) to recover the data. This procedure costs around $1000.

Unless there's a very powerful data recovery program. But I've never heard of a program that can recover data from a full format. :whistling:

Sorry :blink:

roguefrog

roguefrog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
So I presume the data on the DVD+RW is lost?

Is there anyway to recover data that has been deleted off a DVD+RW?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Considering you received an error while performing that scan on that DVD, I believe it is damaged beyond recovery.

However, there is a program that I have used before on damaged floppies and it recovered very well. It claims to work on CDs and DVDs. You must buy it, but it does provide a "see if it works before you buy it" function. Try it out. If it works, cool. But you have to purchase it before it will allow you to actually recover anything.

http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/

Personally, I have never tried to recover data from a CD or DVD, whether damaged or erased. I'm interested to know if this works. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 17 June 2006 - 09:35 PM.

roguefrog

roguefrog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The program locks when I scan the disc...

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
figures...

The disc is too damaged. There's not much else we can do. A full format is very thorough. If you want to check anyway, you can use Restoration on your hard drive and see if anything is recoverable. But I seriously doubt it.

Restoration

My2Cents

My2Cents

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
before giving up on the disk ,have you tried to read it in another computer .

roguefrog

roguefrog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It WORKED!!! I gave a co-worker the disk and his burner could read it! Just when I was about to chalk this one up as a loss. Thanks!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Very surprising :blink:

I'll have to remember that in the future.

You may want to have a look at this article by Johanna in order to help you avoid such "tense" situations in the future. :whistling: