Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Join the Geeks To Go team in other ways

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
EDIT: Grid.org no longer exists. If you'd like to contribute, please consider folding@home. :tazz:

BREAKING NEWS: GRID.ORG MISSION COMPLETE
On Friday, April 27, 2007, Grid.org announced it has completed its mission to demonstrate the viability and benefits of large-scale Internet-based grid computing, and will be retiring its famous efforts to support critical health research.

Grid.org was the largest and most ambitious public interest grid venture ever attempted, and thanks to Grid.org and its millions of members, dozens of similar global grid projects have been able to catch on and succeed by following its footsteps.

Thank you to all our members!
The excellent work Grid.org has done, both in contributing massive compute power to critical health research and in establishing this Internet-based model as beneficial, would not have been possible without the faith, efforts, and support of our millions of members worldwide. Thank you so much for your years of ongoing support!

Please support other volunteer grid projects
We encourage member to take your valuable resources to other projects of this kind that are ready and willing to accept you as new members.

Not so good with computers? Want to help other people in another way? Have a burning desire to join the Geeks To Go team ;)? Well heres a great way to help fight another major problem in the world and it doesn't require much time or effort at all. What is this remarkable way to help the world?....

www.grid.org is a "single destination site for large-scale, non-profit research projects of global significance. With the participation of over 3 million devices worldwide, grid.org projects like Cancer Research, Anthrax Research, Smallpox Research and the new Human Proteome Folding Project"

Go to www.grid.org and download The Grid Software to your computer. Next, setup up your program and allow it to run in the background of your machine. It is a great program that does not use much computer power or memory :cheers: If you would like to help the fight against major diseases in the world, we strongly encourage as many members to help the cause. There is also a way to do this and join the Geeks To Go team as well.

After installing the program, go back to the site, and sign in with your desired login and password. On the top left will be a small panel with links to different pages. Look for the one that says "Teams". Search for Geeks To Go in the appropriate bar and click on the matching result. Then simply select "Join this team" and you are all set :cheers:

Remember, no matter how good or bad your computer is, every member can make a difference. It's time we all step up and rise as one to accomplish great things for less fortunate people. :thumbsup:

Team Statistics

Edited by admin, 14 November 2007 - 10:34 PM.
grid.org no longer exists

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi soxroc,

I'm onboard, I am processing a work unit now. I have spent the passed couple of evenings over at grid.org reading thier FAQ's and visiting there forum. I am very impressed with the organization and there cause, United Devices has fine software its very easy to use and install.

I do think we need to find ways to promote the GTG team to draw more attention to it so we get more members on the team one way I will help with that is to put a snip of info leading to this thread along with my sig in all posts that I respond to.

Do you think in due time the team could possible get it own forum in GTG? I do think that would add awarness and get more people to join. I am becoming more familar with grid.org and United Devices software and will be able to answer some questions as I am sure there will be some. I will do what ever it takes to make this fly.

A big thank you to GTG for getting involved

Rick

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Hey Rick,

Glad you joined :tazz:, I would love to find some way to promote this on GTG more and getting more people to join, im not sure about a forum about this, would have to talk to admin- ill PM him about this, good idea though, right now i think the only options we have for advertisement is the links in our profile and the hope that this will topic will be read over and over again, ill keep you posted

Soxrok

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Yes, I can see it having it's forum someday. For now I would encourage linking in your sig and using this pinned topic. I will look for other ways to promote it too (i.e. I've seen other sites setup a special stats page that shows user and site stats).

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
well I just got on board, running my first project download now.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,470 posts
I agree with Admin, i think it should grow first, then after we could have a page or forum devoted to that where we can show stats, projects completed...etc, good to have you on board efwis

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Welcome aboard Efwis, let us know your thoughts and how things are going

I am glad thats a future possibility Admin

Maybe we could post some stats here for awhile to keep things interesting and others will get an idea of what the teams about.

Rick

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Here's a stats link for now: http://www.grid.org/...B3-51B5349A6679

Looking for a good script.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
that'll work admin,

We got our 4th member today,

Welcome aboard admin!!!!!!

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,470 posts
great to have u on board admin :tazz:

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I joined too :tazz:

Michelle

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi Michelle,

Welcome aboard, very good to hear you decided to be part of the Geeks to Go Team.

Rick

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Thank you :tazz:

Michelle

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well guy's and gal's we are up to 7 members now! I think we are doing well

Welcome aboard dknoppix and Andrew Baxter

The Geeks to Go Team really appreciates your support

Rick

Lusi

Lusi

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Having the grid downloaded as I write this. I am all for anything that is help in Cancer research. I lost a sister to cancer and my mother is a two time survivor. Not to mention countless other friends we have lost as well. Sounds like a good thing. :tazz: