Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external Wi-Fi antena

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Im trying to locate the SMA jack on my XPs HP Omnibook 6000 to use an external antena to improve my signal stregnth.I hear the SMA jack looks like a microphone jack.I see one on the side of my laptop next to the headphones jack.Does an SMA jack have a symbol like this ((.)) ? please & thank you !

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi saraveza408...

An SMA Jack looks like those pictured HERE. Not really much like a microphone jack.

wannabe1

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
will a external antena make a whole lot of difference in my signal stregnth?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
They will help with signal strength in most cases...they will not necesarily increase the range of the signal much. If you're talking pulling signals through walls in a home, look into a repeater that uses household wiring. For internet cafe' use, they're more of an inconvenience than a help.

It really all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.