Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Multiple processes

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Hi guys i have been having some problems with multiple processes running of the same thing at the same time.

i htink it has been slowing my computer up heaps because each one is using up heaps of memory
as in when it says "mem usage"

i will list the processes that apear more than once:

CLI.exe 3 processes
svchost.exe 6 processes!!!

i think thats it what could be causing all of these processes to be running simultaneously?

CLI.exe takes a total of 18,308 K
svchost.exe takes a total of 30,476 K (but this varies alot it can go up to anywhere near 29,000 for 1 process)

could this be slowing down my PC?

its just really annoying having to manually end thoose processes each time i want to use the pc its like a pet hate thing i hate them when they are there so i HAVE to close them LOL!!!
is this normal are they ok to be there? or should there be only 1 of each thing?

thank you for any assistance you can provide
troppo

p.s at the time i looked at the processes i only had this window up and task manager.

Edited by troppo, 16 June 2006 - 10:46 PM.

Advertisements

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Count again, don't you count 5 svchost?
There shouldn't be six standard.

Did you do malware scans?
I think that sixth SVChost is causing it.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
yes there is 6 all running at the same time!
and CLI.exe there is still 3

what is with this are they meant to be there or is it normal?

i did some research on google and found that CLI.exe is associated with ATI drivers and control centre (which is fine but should there be 3 running?)

and that svchost is a microsoft process but it also said that it can also be a trojan??? how do i get rid of this or cheack for it?

i have just fixed other problems with my pc and with another person in the malware forum gave me instructions to fix some problems which i followed and they were fixed if this topic needs to be moved thast fine move it right along LOL

troppo

Edited by troppo, 18 June 2006 - 02:39 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have 3 CLI running

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well at least that part is normal!

but is 6 svchost[s] normal?

i read somewhere on google that it can be disguised as a trojan?
can you help me in anyway?

troppo

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have 3 system, 1 local service, 2 network

svchost is usual, svchosts is malware

Have they given the all clear in malware

sano

sano

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I've got 7 svchost running - no infections

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Same principle here.. I have 6 going, and my computer's never been infected

sacha

sacha

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
6 for me.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I also have 6 instances of svchost running. This is normal for all machines...not necesarily the 6 part, but to have multiples of this process is ok.

Think of it this way, and this is very general...svchost is basically a service manager. Each instance that's running will be managing a few services and their dependent services. svchost can only "watch over" so many services at a time, so it starts another instance to manage more services and dependent services until it has loaded all the necesary services.

If you were to disable a number of services (not recommended), you would find a reduced number of svchost instances running. Like I said, a very general description... :whistling:

wannabe1

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
keith: yes they said it was all clear and closed the topic.

well at least the svchost thing is ok

is there anyway to actually stop two CLI.exe processes from running? other than disabling them manually?

and a really stupid question but what exact memory is being consumed by process'? is it processor cache?
swap space? or RAM?

thanks,
troppo