Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer TOTALLY Screwed Up / PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply

breatheheavy

breatheheavy

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi there. It all started when I got a balloon popup by the clock (bottom right-hand corner) saying I had a virus and that there was malware. From then on it went down hill. I tried doing this and that, but my computer several weeks later is still damaged. Basically, I installed another version of Windows XP because I wanted to start fresh, I then decided to delete it, and followed the directions here: http://xphelpandsupp...ond_install.htm.So now I have come here for help, because my computer now seems to be running on C:\WINNT instead of Windows. I can't download windows updates at ALL, and I just want my computer back to it's healthy state without having to reformat it. Another frequent problem I am faced with is the applications freezing (receiving an application error), the startbar freezes, and I get an error saying that NT SYSTEM AUTHORITY must showdown in 60 seconds, and to save all my work. I tried using sp2, but the screen just goes blue and says dumping physical memory. If anyone can help me, please post here, you are my last hope. Below are some of the visual errors I get. Thanks again.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can repair XP but it isn't much quicker than re-installing, do you have much data you need on the drive?

breatheheavy

breatheheavy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Yes, I have a lot of data & programs that I need for everyday use. I wish I could just repair the pc. I want to:

a. get rid of the double copy of windows xp, it set it as the default, and I want it gone all together.

b. I dont have C:\windows anymore, just c:\winnt.

- I want it all fixed, but if I must, I will wipe the pc out and start again. The only thing I need to still backup (but cant) is my music. I have most of it on my ipod, and I searched for a way to get my music from my ipod onto my pc by mp3 (not sure if it works).

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi breatheheavy...

What was the original operating system, Home or Pro? Which were you running on when you did the removal procedure?

Open Control Panel and double click the System icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the Startup and Recovery section, click on "Settings". Click on the "Edit" button and Copy/Paste the contents of the notepad window (boot.ini) here for me.

wannabe1

redthunder379

redthunder379

• Pip
  • 2 posts
go to
http://www.symantec....moval.tool.html
download it run it and that will be the end of your problems
:whistling: