Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Reads PXE-E61. What should I do?

• Please log in to reply

Kristy205

Kristy205

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Pavilion dv4000 and when I turned it on it said
PXE Rom For Realtek RTL8139(x)/8130/810x PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.131020326
PXE-E61:Media Test Failure. Check Cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE Rom.
then it goes to a black screen with a blanking line at the top.
What should I do?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Kristly205, welcome to G2G

It sounds like the laptop is trying to boot from the network.

Can you go into the bios - power on (or reboot) the laptop. As soon as the display appears, press the F10 key a couple of times. This should open the setup utility. (it may ask you to select the lanuage etc). From the main screen, select the Advanced menu, then Boot options -> boot order. Change the boot order so that hard disk appears above LAN in the list.
EG
1. Removable device
2. Hard disk
3. Lan

The exact order isn't that important, so long as LAN is at the bottom of the list & hard disk is above it.

Save any changes & exit the setup utility. Let me know if this makes any difference