Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Delay in recognizing CD/DVD in drive(s)

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you cannot get the system file check to run

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Advertisements

rmelone

rmelone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Just so I understand. You think my installation of Windows XP Home needs to be repaired and that should fix my CD ROM/DVD drive problem?

I found this article, which you may be familiar with, that seems to be addressing the very problem I've been having except I already have Service Pack 2 installed.

http://support.micro...?...817357&fr=1

When I do what you are suggesting there's no danger of writing over any data on my hard drives is there?

Robert

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as you follow the guide, the data and programmes you have remain

You could only overwrite if you chose clean install instead of repair

There is something wrong with the install because it won't run the system file check

rmelone

rmelone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
One thing I just found out about my problem is that if I boot in Safe mode I can access the CD and DVD drives normally with no problems.

I take it that could be another indication of what is causing this problem - what might that be? Is it related to repairing the Windows installation?

Thanks,

Robert

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Safe mode loads a basic set of drivers so there is a conflict between that set and the full set

Have you run the repair?

rmelone

rmelone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'm going to run it this morning. I'll let you know how I make out.

Robert

rmelone

rmelone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I finally got to running the Windows XP repair just as you told me but I'm afraid I still have the same problems: sfc / scannow still does the same thing and a CD or DVD is not immediatly recognized in either drive.

I take it there's nothing that can help from the fact that the problem of recognizing a CD goes away in Safe mode?

Robert

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Using Memtest

rmelone

rmelone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Sorry to bother you but exactly which Memtest program should I download and run?

Thanks,

Robert

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In the top section the bootable ISO (zip) is for CDR, below that is one for floppy if you have the option to use it, either will do

If you click using memtest it has a guide for it

Advertisements

rmelone

rmelone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I downloaded MEMTEST86+-1.65.ZIP and used WinZip to unzip it and all it did was to create the same file name with an extension of *.bin. I thought there would be other files created including an install.bat file to create the boot diskette.

Did I do something wrong? What should happen?

Thanks,

Robert

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Downloading 2nd from top should have unzipped to this

[attachment=9251:attachment]

which has an .iso file ext

rmelone

rmelone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I may have found what my problem is. I started looking at some of the programs I had installed and when I came to Trend Micro PC Cillin and disabled something called 'Trend Micro Real-Time Service' using MSCONFIG, that enabled recognition in either the CD or DVD drive.

I'm not sure what that affects but the virus part of that program is running and the firewall and that's all I'm concerned about.

I may contact Trend Micro to see what that service affects.

I still can't get sfc / scannow to work as you said - is that something I should be concerned about?

Thanks for your help.

Robert

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you typing it sfc /scannow

rmelone

rmelone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I was putting a space after the slash, now it works.

Thanks,

Robert