Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VXD issues, still need help please

• Please log in to reply

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I`m still having probs with trying to sort the vxd error issues with my wretched pc. This is the original thread,

http://www.geekstogo...ts-t107687.html

is there any more help out there pretty please ? :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will rebuild the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, give it a minute to arrive at the prompt with a flashing cursor then type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When Windows has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD then reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then run disc defragmenter from system tools

This part is optional

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thank you for such a quick reply :whistling:
I have printed out your instructions and will do it all now. I will report back as soon as done or if I have any probs with any of the stages [ I have Norton Goback so hopefully if I mess up or the pc has a fit at me I should be able to start again from scratch with the instructions ]. Back asap :blink:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Sadly not, I should have known my machine would refuse to let anything go well :whistling: :blink: :help:

When the screen display is like this :

Repairing C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.DAT

[a tick symbol ] Looking for valid system registry keys

>> Checking system registry structure

Rebuilding system registry

1% complete [ the marker chart along the bottom of screen has one yellow filled segment at this point ]

it then seems to freeze. I did sit and wait for a few minutes in case it just needed time but there was no `working` activity from the light on the front of the PC. I tried again but the same thing happened. I could tear my hair out at this thing :)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Carry on from here and run tune up

When Windows has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD then reboot.

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Okie doke, thank you, back soon !

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I`m getting nowhere with this, there are so many files changed I dont know which are ok and which are`nt, and any I tried to restore from the 98SE disc all said file not found anyway :blink:

I have finally found my Norton disc though - is it worth me now trying to uninstall then reinstall ? The file checker did say Naveng.vxd may be corrupted - would uninstall then reinstall perhaps fix that one ?
The blue screening still only happens if I hit Y for loading symtdi.vxd which I think is a Norton thing [ ?? ] so is there any chance it could sort that as well ?

Sorry to be so dense and your patience is much appreciated :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When it says, file not found, is the 98SE CD in the same drive as it was installed from, does it say restore from E:\ and is the CD in this drive?

Uninstall Norton, run tune up then re-install Norton

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
It was installed in F drive - the main CD slot [ my E drive is a second hard drive, and C drive is partitioned so its got C and D drive, then the E drive so the CD is F ]. I also have G and H drives - one is a plug-in rewriter, the other is DVD [ hope I have`nt made it sound too confusing ! ].

I did have the Tune up trial but its expired and wont let it reinstall to run now, but I will uninstall and reinstall Norton now - back again soon :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When it shows the restore from box, does it say F:\ etc if F is the drive the CD is in, if not, click browse and change the drive letter to the correct one

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Yes, the box does say the correct drive [ F ] for the CD. I have done the Norton uninstall and reinstall and it has made no difference :blink: :whistling: :help:

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Getting more and more despondant - surely I can`t have the one PC in the world with issues no one can help with ? :whistling: :blink: :help:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Load the CD, choose install Windows, ignore the warning about windows already being installed, have the product key handy

The local disc is C ?

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi again, thank you for your patience :help:

The drives are :

C : local disc, the `main` hard drive [ the one Windows is loaded in ]
D and E, also local discs, separate hard drive, which is partitioned hence D and E

F is main CD slot
G is DVD slot
H is plug-in/external CDRW
I [ when in use ] is camera flashcard reader

So. reinstalling Windows wont wipe out all the things I have loaded already like reformatting ? :whistling:
The 98SE disc I have is a copied cab files disc given to me by someone at PC world as the original disc I had [ 98, not SE ] apparently became `unusable` while in their care plus they installed 98SE without asking if I wanted to change from plain ol` 98 anyway :blink:
I dont have anything but that disc, no sleeve, no number, no booklet etc, so is the product key the one shown in the properties box for My Computer, where it says `registered to` and has a long number with OEM in the sequence ?