Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Regedit not working

• Please log in to reply

chris73

chris73

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Anyone ever seen this:

Posted Image

Is my XP all messed up?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Look at the path and the file name. I don't like it.

chris73

chris73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

All went well except for the sfc / scannow - it dosen't start. It only flashes the command screen quickly and nothing happens.

chris73

chris73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Look at the path and the file name. I don't like it.

Don't like it in what way? Spyware?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow then press enter, if no change

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
I think the file you want is REGEDT.EXE not regedit.com. Windows doesn't have that file. Letting that get into your system is not fun no more.
good luck.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

I think the file you want is REGEDT.EXE not regedit.com. Windows doesn't have that file. Letting that get into your system is not fun no more.
good luck.

That is correct. You need to go to C:\Windows\ folder and delete the file regedit.com and any other file that starts with regedit that DOESN'T end in EXE. You may need to View Hidden Files & Folders to see the file to be able to delete it. Afterwards, go to START-->RUN and type regedit and see if the Registry Editor window opens.

Since a problem like this is almost always malware related, I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. After doing the steps, please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum and let an expert check it and make sure there isn't anything else hanging around.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 17 June 2006 - 07:35 PM.

chris73

chris73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks for the advice.
I can't find regedit.com on the system, even if I include hidden folders in the search.

My Hijack This log looks clean to me, but I'm heading to Malware now.

Edited by chris73, 17 June 2006 - 08:31 PM.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
look for REGEDIT because the real file named REGEDT. The difference is one with "I" and one without.

Edited by mcpscomp, 17 June 2006 - 10:13 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi chris73...

Just to clarify something here. There IS a REGEDIT and a REGEDT and both are legitimate Windows applications. REGEDT32 is the advanced registry editor in Windows.

Open "My Documents", click on "Tools", then on "Folder Options...", under the "View" tab, locate and untick the box next to "Hide extensions for known file types". Apply the changes. Now find and delete REGEDIT.COM in C:\Windows.

wannabe1

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Also don't do a search for the file, but rather physically navigate to the folder by opening MY COMPUTER, then Local (C:) and then WINDOWS and then find and delete the REGEDIT.COM file.

Fenor

Jason62040

Jason62040

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I had the same problem, wierd it went away with deleteing the contents in pretench or what ever first step was

chris73

chris73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow then press enter, if no change

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

The machine is booting and shutting down VERY slow since I used the prefetch command. Is it because the scannow hasen't been run?

Jason62040

Jason62040

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
a simple approach, try clicking run: type regedit.exe..... :whistling: