Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive help

• Please log in to reply

.Dark.

.Dark.

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well my desktop hard drive died and I'm not sure of the problem or if there is any way i can get some info from it. I turned my pc on with it in my hand and the disk spun fine but the reader (not sure of names, just guessing here) kept clicking and switching between one spot and another. It never gets to loading the OS. If there is any way to bring it back, if only long enough to move a file or two that would be great.

Edited by .Dark., 17 June 2006 - 01:12 PM.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Clicking noises = very bad

If you can't get into Windows at all, your best bet is probably to take the hard drive out and put it as a slave into a different computer. Though, if it is clicking badly, odds are you won't be able to recover anything through conventional methods.

.Dark.

.Dark.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
well i already put it as a slave and it wouldn't even finish booting.
Well, the info i need isn't important enough to pay for it so i'll just deal.

thnx anyway

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Did you put it as a slave in a different computer? If you do that, there is a chance you can recover something.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 18 June 2006 - 10:04 AM.

.Dark.

.Dark.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
well umm..... i don't have another desktop
all i've got are laptops and this one desktop

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I'm sure you have a friend or family member with a desktop that would let you set the drive as slave on. Worth a shot...

Fenor

.Dark.

.Dark.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
not by tomorrow lol

doesn't matter, i have a back-up plan. i'll try that whenever i can get someone to let me use their desktop

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
uh oh, this is exactly what happened to me. i think there was a way you could do this. something to do with you wrap up ur hard drive in sealed plastic bag, and make sure its suctioned so it doesnt get frost on it, and you put it into the freezer, then after a while you take it out plug it in, and you'll have a couple of minutes to take all ur files out. read about it and see if u wanna risk it.