Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Safe virtual memory?

• Please log in to reply

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Hello everyone,

I have 256MB of RAM and a 40GB hard drive. I was wondering, what would be a good and SAFE virtual memory setting for my PC? There is only 2.2GB free space left if that would help.

Thanks in advance,
DS

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Virtual Memory should always be 1.5 times higher than the amount of RAM you have, or more. Never less. Though "system managed" is the best setting.

If you want to set it manually, and you have 256 MB of RAM, set it to 384 MB or more. But no less than that.

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Thanks for the advice! Is it OK to put it at 512MB?

DS

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
absolutely. Like I said, system managed is the best, since it will give you just what you need, without wasting hard drive space, and then gives you extra if the need arises. But 512 MB will do just fine if you want to set it manually.

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Thank you for replying. Helped a lot!

DS