Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Number of game related problems

• Please log in to reply

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ok this is quite long I warn you b4 hand, if you will help me then thank you.

Ok here goes..... My sytem specs can be seen below in my signature.

Problem no

*1*
Bios thinks my Sony DVD-ROM is a hard drive. Ok let me explain. I recently bought the 600W Modular Silverstone PSU and installed it, however installing it meant removing everthing because this thing is huge and during installation I did not want to damage anything.
So I lost my IDE drive configuration. My motherboad has the following> IDE 1, 2, 3 2 and 3 being close together further down the board and 1 being further up the board.

Even b4 I installed the psu the BIOS would not detect my IDE HD however now it thinks my Sony DVD-ROM is a hard drive.

However in Windows everything is fine and the hard drive works fine........ except if for example I want to play a game and I put the disk into my LG drive then it will say 'please insert the correct disk' nad if i put it in the Sony drive it works fine'. I reinstalled XP pro and during installation I put the disk in my Sony drive so b4 i put the motherboard drivers on it only detected the Sony drive (for obvious driver reasons) however this is the first time I hav encountered such problems. Unless its to do with master etc. IDE HD is on cable select. Dont know about the optical drives.

Each and every drive is on its own cable.
*2*
I installed Windows XP Pro MSDN as usual however this time round after installing the motherboard graphic card drivers which require a system reboot to be usable, it came up with my name. (During Wind XP PRo installation Admin pswd must be set and 1 user name- I had entered my name) I had not selected the welcome screen nor had I set a password for my account (I am the only person who uses it but because of certain gremlins also known as children) java script:emoticon(':D', 'smid_3')
:D I have to set a password)

I usually set the password last after reinstallation however what struck me as strange is that the first couple of times it reboot no log on screen just the usual direct. However suddenly I had that appear. java script:emoticon(':angry:', 'smid_6')
:( :blink:
So I clicked on my name and thought that its no biggy and continued installation of drivers games etc....... until I got to DivX that is. Near the end of installation Windows said something along the lines of 'Your administrator has not allowed for registry changes' and DivX finished installing then the system rebot by itself even though its not meant to.

So I tested it I clicked Start, RUN, Regedit 'Youy admin has not allowed etc' - restart.
Very annoying. java script:emoticon(':angry:', 'smid_5')
:angry:
I thought it wont effect me since I dont bother the registry so I finished installing my games and checked out Hitman Contracts; just to see the effect since I had never tried this I set the screen resolution to 1600 x 1200 since apparently a LCD screen can display it just distorted (not native native = 1280 x 1024).
At this point Hitman went black. I mean the screen went black java script:emoticon(';)', 'smid_23') and I tried Ctrl Esc and Ctrlt Alt Delete but system froze. I restarted and tried playing again however when I double click on it the screen goes black for a very short period of time (almost like a flicker) then desktop comes back and the game does not load nor open or anyhting for that matter.

*3*
That custom built computer of mine is not connected to the internet because I do not want viruses etc slowing it down it is primarily desgned by myself to be a gaming machine.
So I was suprised to find a highly irratating thing (I am a perfectionist to some this problem may not seem that big).
In my documents all folders such as saved games etc get a duplicate folder. What I mean is this.
Ok lets take Sid Meirs Pirates as an example: Sid Meirs Pirates saved game folder- Double click to enter the folder saved games appear and another folder labelled exactly the same as the folder I just double clicked on. Double click on this folder to find out what this is, opens up my documents in explorer mode. ERRRRRRRR java script:emoticon(':wacko:', 'smid_20')
:wacko:
This problem is there in many folders I think only in my documents. I have tried reinstalling XP but as can be seen I have 2 hard drives.
So beacuse I have important files in my documents I back them up to the IDE hard drive which I use for storing home made movie backups and other important backups.
My main SATA drive is where th OS is.
Of course this feels like basically shifting the problem.
Reinstallation makes no diffrence and no matter how many times I delete it by pressing delete or shift and delete it comes back after I close my documents for a while.

This problem seems to have a root.
I have the Sony Ericsson K750i (brill phone!), I went to India recently for a holiday and during my stay I receieved a message via bluetooth. I was sitting with friends with my bluetooth on exchanging files (sounds, music etc) when i received a strange file by some weird name and extesion something like a1225asdh (basically random) and by mistake (YES by mistake!!) I pressed accept and it was a very small file something like 1 Kb so it instantly came to my phone. I asked my TRUSTWORTHY friends if he had sent it but all said no and exchanged concerned looks.

Then I went to my relatives house there and used his computer to access my phones external memory stick via his card reader. I found all folders had duplicates and again no matter how many times and however I deleted them they came bakc. So I transfered all important files to hard disk and formatted.

Then when I got back out of the crappy hole they call India (my dad dragged me there since his bro etc lives there) i attached my phone via the supplied cable and transfered some nice scenery photos I had taken there. Ever sincethen that problem remains.
The internal memory I do not know how to format so ever now I never conect my phone to my comp.
I also tried AVG Free scanned the entire Comp not phone no viruses detected.
Also on the startup thing in start programs, i delete everthing because I dont want to wait ages for startup however a strange thing keeps reappearing no matter how many times I delete it it has the MS-DOS symbol and is called Empty????!!!!!!????? java script:emoticon(':woot:', 'smid_8') :woot:
What the [bleep]??

*4*
Call Of Duty 2 is not reporting over 40 FPS een though my refresh rate is at 60 and all settings are on full I am using FRAPS to measure FPS.
And the MOST strangest thing is when I selected multiplayer (with no one to play against just myself I had never accessed the multiplayer feature as I do not connect to the net using that comp) it went quite unplayable down to about 10-18 FPS???!!! java script:emoticon(':woot:', 'smid_19')
:yes:
It cannot be a bottleneck if it is please tell me what it is as I cant see there being any.
During play of COD2 for like 10 mins the card operates at around 73 C is this normal temp?

I know its alot but please help me!!!! java script:emoticon(':whistling:', 'smid_16')
:blink: java script:emoticon(':help:', 'smid_16')
:)

Also I have no anti-virus or anything of the such running due to there being no internet connection on my comp, only the essentials.

Edited by Mitesh, 18 June 2006 - 12:22 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Your DVD drive (along with any other optical drive with may have) must be connected to IDE 1. From the sounds of it, you have it connected to IDE 2 or 3. This will not work because 2 & 3 are for IDE RAID & rain cannot be used for optical drives.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
well i have not enabled raid and up till now (10 months) things have worked fine, how else would you conect them then apart from via 1 cable and master and slave? When I get the post screen after the screen where you can enter bios it says my dvd-rom is primary master and my sata drive is secondary master...... by the way the Sony DVD-ROM which appears as primary hard drive is on IDE 1, LG drive is on IDE 2 and Hard drive is on IDE 3.
Should I make the LG drive master and the Sony drive slave and connect via 1 cable to IDE 1? Isnt there a perfomance loss? And wont my motherboard still detect it as it is now? It rekons IDE 1 is a hard drive even though in the motherboards manual it says something along the lines of 'to ensure the cd drive works attach it to IDE 1' something like that so.......... any more help Samm. Oh and nice sunglasses and red braided hair! :whistling:

Edited by Mitesh, 19 June 2006 - 04:00 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, can you quickly confirm that I have this correct - you have in the computer :

1 x SATA hard disk
1 x IDE hard disk
2 x IDE optical drives (LG + Sony)

If I've got that right, which of the 2 hard drives do you boot from (i.e which one has the OS installed)?

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Dont worry as you will be able to see I have updated my 'problems' and I fixed that issue please see if their is anything alse you can help me with.
Also is that a pic of you? I am rubbish at guessing peoples age so lets see if based on that photo I can guess.......... hmmmmmmm you are........ 21-22yrs? :whistling:

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ok this is quite long I warn you b4 hand, if you will help me then thank you.

Ok here goes..... My sytem specs can be seen below in my signature.

Problem no

*1*
PROBLEM SOLVED BY MYSELF.

*2*

*3*

*4*
Call Of Duty 2 is not reporting over 40 FPS een though my refresh rate is at 60 and all settings are on full I am using FRAPS to measure FPS.
And the MOST strangest thing is when I selected multiplayer (with no one to play against just myself I had never accessed the multiplayer feature as I do not connect to the net using that comp) it went quite unplayable down to about 10-18 FPS???!!! Why is it that FPS goes low on multiplayer when there is no one to play aginst and my computer is by itself not connected to anything at all so in other words i tried playing multiplayer solo. The new maps (mp_rhino etc inc with patch 1.3) operate fine good FPS but the first map and I have tried others THE FIRST MULTIPLAYER MAP try it yourself ppl it makes my FPS go down like [bleep].
I tried updating my ati drivers and update to V1.3 CO2 no difrrence. All settings on full and V sync disabled this card should be able to deal with this.
upset.gif
It cannot be a bottleneck if it is please tell me what it is as I cant see there being any.
During play of COD2 for like 10 mins the card operates at around 73 C is this normal temp?

surrender.gif

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, I am not a gamer so anyone please feel free to correct me if I have this wrong....but from what I understand multiplayer mode on many games is an enhanced version of the single player mode. These enhancements often include many additional features (regardless of whether you are actually playing against anyone else or not) and so tend to affect the fps.

73C seems a little high but I don't think it's dangerously hot. If it reaches 80C then start to worry. In the meantime keep an eye on the temps (including cpu & system temps also) especially in hot weather. You may also want to consider adding some additional cooling, such as a case fan or two.

Re your previous question - I was about 28 when that photo was taken approximately 3 years ago. :whistling:

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Told you I was rubbish at guessing ppls ages! :whistling: Anyways what sort of enhancments are there? And I cannot monitor my temps except ATI and CPU (CPU via reboot and BIOS only, BIOS is not very accurate. My upgrade from the original intel fan +heatsink to the Zalman one + Arctic silver 5 has only lowered temps by 2 degrees, the fan spins immensley slower but still........), is there anyway to monitor temps in windows without adding probes?
PS: 2,350 is ALOT of posts!!

Edited by Mitesh, 21 June 2006 - 02:11 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You mentioned about the cpu fan now spinning slower but the temp only being 2C lower than before. This is probably due to the bios's smart fan control utility. This is designed to adjust the fan speed according to the cpu temp. It sounds like the effects of the new heatsink+arctic silver have been counteracted by the fan spinning slower.

I don't know what sort of temps you are getting for the cpu but according o Gigabyte, when the cpu temp is <40C the fan switches off entirely. Above 40C, the fan speed increases as the temp rises. Only when the cpu hits 65C will the fans spin at full speed. I suggest if you want to bring the cpu temps down then try disabling the CPU Smart Fan Control in the bios. This should cause the cpu fan to run at full speed all the time.

Personally, I would also disable the CIA2 (cpu intelligent accelorater) function, if it is currently enabled. This is only my personal opinion of course.

Re monitoring of temps in windows, if your motherboard CD didn't contain any utilities for doing this, then try something like Everest :

http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

You should find the temps etc under Computer->sensor menu in Everest.

kunwon1

kunwon1

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
With regard to your FPS issue in Call of Duty, what sort of video card are we talking about?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

With regard to your FPS issue in Call of Duty, what sort of video card are we talking about?

I assume it's the one listed in his signature - Radeon X1900 XT 512MB

kunwon1

kunwon1

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Touche. I was unaware of a video card maker known as PowerColor :whistling:

Video card isn't a problem then.. Might just be that CoD multiplayer maps are bigger / higher polygon count / etc.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Hmm probably but the question remains: Do any of you own COD2 and do you experience lag on multiplayer maps?
Oh and samm, CIA is not enabled and I never do to prolong life of components.

Oh and I know this isnt really for hardware section but I was wondering about any other good games like COD2 I hear Battlefield 2 is good however is this not mostly for online? And Half Life 2 ermmm and ...... i cant remeber any more.
I am planning of modding my Thermaltake Tsuanmi maybe a top intake fan, add brused or polished aluminum to the side where the drives are. Superior cable manament within the case.
All based on the Homeworld 2 game. I plan of adding some sort of sticker to the side of the X1900 XT's heatsink (the white part) and some other mnods. Only thing I have never modded ever!!

Edited by Mitesh, 23 June 2006 - 09:12 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Oh and samm, CIA is not enabled and I never do to prolong life of components.

Sorry, I don't follow. Are you suggesting that enabling CIA shortens the life of components?

Re. the multiplayer mode issue -
I suspect you will find that you are not alone in experiencing a drop in fps during multiplayer mode in this game. I know this is a common problem with a lot of games so I am assuming that COD is no different. Try searching on the terms 'fps' and 'cod' in google to see if this is a known issue.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
That is one of the first things I tried.
And obviously overclocking shortens component life, and it is a built in overclocking feature is it not?