Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant boot system

• Please log in to reply

JannS

JannS

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys,

I installed windows updates and was asked to restart the system. Ever since I did that my computer has refused to boot it just goes straight to a balck screen that says windows did not shut down properly and asks if i should boot in safe mode, last known working configuration or normally. I tried booting the system in safe mode and in the other two but each time it shows the windows screen then a blue screen flashes and then the computer reboots. I have tried booting the computer using a Linux OS live cd called Ubuntu to see if i could mount my hard drive that way and access my files so i save my files but that has not worked. Please does anyone have any suggestion of a way to recover my files from my hard drive and move them unto an external. I am utterly confused.

Thanks

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Probably your best course of action would be to repair Windows XP. You will need an XP CD in order to do this. If you're not sure how to do a repair, check out the following link: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

If you have problems, here is an alternate way to repair XP:

Alternate XP Repair Method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system. After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates and possibly your video card driver.

Microsoft Update

JannS

JannS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hey again,

That did not work because my windows came preinstalled on my system so i do not have the installation CD. Any other suggestions

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Without an XP CD, you cannot fix this problem. But, you could still recover your data by one of these methods:

1. Take your hard drive out and put it as a slave into a different computer.

2. Download Knoppix and use it as a bootable OS to retrieve your data.

You might consider borrowing an XP CD from a friend.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 17 June 2006 - 08:52 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
This may work for you, if you cannot get an XP CD:

Restart your computer, and then tap F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in "Safe Mode with a command prompt".

Type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe at the command prompt, and then press "Enter"...Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.