Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet exploer help

• Please log in to reply

defender13

defender13

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I recently got rid of mozillas firefox and went back to internet explorer.However now my computer doesnt recognize it as the default browser.How do i make it so it does?And also in IE when i try to play some movies they come up as a blank screen with an x in the corner or say cant create DirectShow player.I have reinstalled itunes and quicktime several time but it doesnt work for the video problem.I really need help so any would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a web page, click tools, internet options, programmes to set IE as the default, close IE then open it

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
:whistling:

Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Set Program Access and defaults.

Click the Custom radio button and choose your defaults there.

Your video problem may be solved by downloading codecs. The full Klite Codec Pack includes Media Player Classic, that will play any video file.

Klite Codec Pack

Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Set Program Access and defaults.

Click the arrows to the right of Custom and choose your defaults there.

Your video problem may be solved by downloading codecs. The full Klite Codec Pack includes Media Player Classic, that will play any video file.

Klite Codec Pack

Edited by RichP, 18 June 2006 - 03:30 AM.

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
thanks guys ill try those and tell you if they worked.

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
ok i got my IE to be my default but my video problem persists.i still have for some movies a little white box with a red x in the top left corner of my screen even after i downloaded the codecs.

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Are these movies in webpages that you click a link to view, or are you downloading them?

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
you click a link and a video player comes up and either says can not create DirectShow player or just has the red x in the corner of the sreen.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got a link for a file which won't run

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Examples of my problem are the quicktime display at the top of the screen dos not play

http://www.ea.com/of...attlefield2/us/

and as for the red square in the corner of the screen i cant remeber any sites off the top of my head that it happens but if i find one ill post it.

Edited by defender13, 18 June 2006 - 04:12 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What do you get in the box here

http://www.adslguide...s/speedtest.asp

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
the stuff in the box runs...

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
and now i just noticed that screenshots dont even show up sometimes.I just installed adobe reader 7.0 beacause an instruction manual for something needed it.i dont know if thats important or not.