Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC reboots error: services crashes

• Please log in to reply

charrup

charrup

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi

Keith helped me yesterday with a list of goodies to do - prefetch, disc clean up, disc defragmenter and then sfc/scannow....

Just ran all that stuff EXCEPT - couldnt do the sfc/scannow in safe mode - rpc service is not started or found, and cant run in normal mode as pc reboots before being able to.....

Advertisements

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
To start the RPC service, go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools (in Classic View) > Services.

Look for Remote Procedure Call.

Right-click on it and select Start.

Edited by RichP, 18 June 2006 - 03:23 AM.

charrup

charrup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Great thank you! Managed to do that and so far pc seems ok. Although, it never called for the installation cd at all.....

So will all this have fixed the problem? Hope so....

Thanx for the help - will see how long pc stays up for.

:whistling:

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Not sure, having not seen the original thread. If System File Checker needs to replace files it will ask for the CD, so it hasn't replaced anything.

charrup

charrup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Basically what was happening is that the pc was rebooting every minute or so....something was crashing services.exe prompting windows to reboot.....sometimes the reboot would be quite random - hour, 2 hours or every minute.

Thats when Keith gave me that list of goodies to do.....but was never prompted to insert the windows disc so I guess that would mean that those scans etc found no problem files - which mean that the problem could not be there....I dont know.....its been up for 4 hours so far.

I also did the various malware, virus scans etc. and nothing!

So I guess we will have to see how long it stays up for.