Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC doesnt starts ocassionally

• Please log in to reply

OSS

OSS

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I am having a problem for the last two weeks that my PC simply doesnt start sometimes

When i shut down and again open it at that very instant,it simply doesnt show up...Nothing appears at monitor..Not even Intel LOGO or Bios screen..this also happens when some application hangs and i shut down my PC by force...Exactly after 30-60min it comes back to life and then creates no problem when running an operating sys even for 3 days constantly(that i ran last week)

I have changed the data cables..Also change RAM from Dual channel to single channel...Removed pci cards...But still the same problem..it dont shows up ...after getting a rest of half or so,it comes back then

My pc spces are:
Processor:Intel Pentium4
Motherboard:Intel D865GBF
Ram:2*256MB[512] Kingston DDR 400Mhz operating in Dual channel mode
HDD:80GB Seagate
Two PCI cards:Lan and Modem

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would take a look at your temps when the puter is running. If the temp in the power supply is marginally high it probably would not restart until the sensors reach a safe temp level. Downloading speedfan can tell you cpu and case temps if your Mb has the sensors( most do nowadays) anda regular thermometer held behind the power supply can give you an idea of your temps. Any temps 60°C or over suggests problems there. The second you shut off the computer the PS gets hotter since theres no cooling air flowing. It may be the PS needs to be below a certain temp to start. Dead spots in the case can cause problems by causing the motherboard to see high temps so it won't start until a good temp is reached. I've seen a northbridge chipset so hot you could'nt touch it but the case temp was 55°. Sometimes that computer would not restart but it always started when cold. I put a chipset heatsink and fan on to fix that.

I did have a computer that did similar and finally found that replacing the start switch in the case fixed it. It seems that when the case was rather warm, the athlon puter ran at 60° most of the time, the switch was marginal in working. Of course sometimes it would not turn off the computer also.

SRX660