Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

startup help

• Please log in to reply

Nuoli

Nuoli

• Pip
  • 2 posts
here's the problem... Last week I was doing my job normally on my windows 98 then it just restarted and product key window appeared on startup...I typed my product key but then error! it won't start that [bleep] windows. no toolbar, no icons, nothing!
Help me guys to fix it! Please!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose command prompt only, type scanreg /restore then press enter, choose one which is shown as started and is before this error

Nuoli

Nuoli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
right, I did it and it worked! thanks A LOT! now, will this happen again? can I do something to prevent it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It would depend on the cause, which could have been a number of things, the option you used has 5 registy back up usually and you would be unlucky if none of them started the PC

If it happens again, post back with as much detail (recent installs / uninstalls) as you can

Thank You for letting me know

Hope it goes well