Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Password

• Please log in to reply

Baz_O

Baz_O

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Is there a way to set a password on Windows XP, so only I can log onto windows?

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hey there Baz_O, it is not a stupid question.

Goto:
> Start
> Control Panel
> User Accounts
> Select your profile
> Creat a Password
> Set your password and verify
> Then click "Create Password"
> Click "Yes, make Private" [This will only come up if it is your first time setting a password]

Once you have followed all these instruction you would have set a password for your user profile so that next time you logon, you will need a password to login.

Cool :whistling:

Baz_O

Baz_O

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you. Can I set a password for folders?

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hey there again Baz_O, unfortunaty to lock folders you would have to use other programs, eg. "Folder Lock"

Instead of locking folders individualy, you can cut them to your documents and if another user logs on using a different account they will not be able to see the folders moved to your documents.

I lock certain documents using winzip and add a password to the archive. This is a method you may also consider.

Cool :whistling:

adqjohn

adqjohn

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Baz_O -- One thing I have learned is, that when it comes to computers there are no stupid questions, period. Geeks to Go is the best place to find answers that I've found yet. The staff is greatastic.

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should be able to right click a folder, click properties, click sharing and tick make this folder private

Baz_O

Baz_O

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

You should be able to right click a folder, click properties, click sharing and tick make this folder private

It's not letting me click on the box.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does any of this apply

This option is only available for folders included in your user profile. Folders in your user profile include My Documents and its subfolders, Desktop, Start Menu, Cookies, and Favorites. If you do not make these folders private, they are available to everyone who uses your computer.

• When you make a folder private, all of its subfolders are private as well. For example, when you make My Documents private, you also make My Music and My Pictures private. When you share a folder, you also share all of its subfolders unless you make them private.

• You cannot make your folders private if your drive is not formatted as NTFS