Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maxtor Hard Drive Limited to 127

• Please log in to reply

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I searched for answers in the data base but did not find a solution, so heres my problem.

My computer crashed and I had to reload windows from a restore CD (2001 Windows Home XP). I downloaded the SP2 and all updates. I had added a Maxtor 250 CB harddrive last year. Now it only recognizes 127gb.

I downloaded the Maxtor Bigdrive enabler. I also updated the Intel Application Accelerator. My drive still shows 127 limit, FAT 32, currently 116gb available. I also installed the Maxtor 4 software. But it wont let me access the HD under the setup feature since it already is in use.

I can go to the partition section which allows me to partition unallocated space. Is this the space that XP does not recognize or is this the space that is currently empty that is recognized?

It will allow me to create Partion 2 ntfs 113gb. Should I creat a new partition? Can I have half my HD FAT 32 and half NTFS?

please help.

thanks

Advertisements

OSS

OSS

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have gone through ur post and have figured out some methods to overcome this

First of all check again for ensurity at the back of HDD for jumper settings.Make sure it is configured to a limit option.

Second if u have an NTFS partition there is a Tab in properties named as QUOTA if limits the drive..So check this out too

U can also see ur free partiton in Windows XP bootable section..If there is u can create a partiton for unpartitioned space to overcome this

In the last u have mentioned it is letting u make a NTFS out of that..Well that is i think a-ok to keep to partions in different File type..NTFS is better than FAT32 for its better security

NTFS cannot be converted to FAT32 but fat32 can..
SIMPLY write this at CMD:

convert e: /fs:ntfs

Where e is drive letter
I think this may help u

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I am a noob so I have some questions.

I HD was recognized as a 250 gb before the re-install. So I aasume the jumper is set right.

1. What is the windows bootable section and how to I get there.

2. Is the section that I am allowed to make a partition the section that is recognized? Or is it the section that is unrecognized? I really dont want to creat a partition if I dont have to.

thx

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The Fat 32 file system has a limit of 127 gig's unless you use 48 bit logical block addressing. Windows Xp did not have 48 bit LBA until the SP1 version came out.

http://support.micro...kb/303013/en-us

Since you are using the fat32 file system, and your recovery cd is probably not SP1 , it will only partition 127 gigs of the drive. You can partition the rest of the drive as a second partition. It might be a good idea to do this and keep all data on the second partition. This way you do not lose the data if you need to use the restore CD again to reinstall XP. Usually a recovery CD restores windows back to when you bought the computer at the store so anything you put on that partition is lost, including any installed programs.

Personally i do not like having large partitions on a drive. I have partitioned my 250 G HD with a 20 G partition for windows and apps, and 2-110 gig partitions. One partition is used for music and videos, the other one is for data.

Because you are running fat32 you cannot format the rest of the drive as NTFS. Fat32 cannot read the NTFS file system so you will not be able to use it that way.You can convert the fat 32 partition on which windows XP is installed and then partition the second partition as ntfs also. The caveat here is that your recovery CD will probably not work anymore because it is looking for a fat 32 partition.

SRX660