Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

want to upgrade my RAM

• Please log in to reply

J Mo

J Mo

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'm looking fo upgrade my RAM from 512MB to 1GB, but I'm not sure how similar (if at all) it has to be to the type I already have in my comp

Does the memory type and speed have to be the same? eg. for me it's DDR-SDRAM and PC3200, and does it matter if the new memory is 400 MHz, instead of the 200 MHz that my original RAM has, as they both have PC3200?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Yes the type of RAM must to be the same or else it will not fit into your mother board, if you have DDR then the RAM you buy must also be DDR, the speed does NOT have to be the same BUT... If you buy a 333 and your current RAM is 400 it will down grade the speeds to 333. So I would RECOMMEND buying same speeds. If you computer is 333 then but the 400 just incase in future you want to upgrade. Anything else?

Cool :whistling:

J Mo

J Mo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks, my current RAM speed according to hwinfo is 200MHz, so you're saying I should buy RAM at 200MHz if possible? I can't really seem to find that, so should I just go ahead and buy it with 400 MHz? (or does the fact that it is PC3200 not make a difference?)

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
I would say in your case that buying the 400 will be great in the long run for when you want to upgade. So buyinh the 400 will be the better choice.

Cool :whistling:

J Mo

J Mo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok cool, thanks for your help :whistling:

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
if ur upgrading ur ram then i'd suggest getting dual channel 2x512MB ram and replace the one in there altogether, just keep for later. but if u must keep the 512stick in there, try to buy as close to its make and model as u can so there is no conflict, which might result in slow downs.