Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help on why PC keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply

dan00behave

dan00behave

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi all, i recently added 512 mb of ram to my Fujitsu-siemans scaleo P in an attemp to upgrade from 256 to 768. however after i added the ram my computer worked fine for a while but then when i tried to load battlefield 2 it told me my vpu on my graphics card was failing and needed to be reset. i then tried to load counterstrike and after about 5 mins of play the PC just turned off. i have checked the fans and it seems that the one attached to the back of the pc by the power station is not working. i have a feeling it could be overheating that is crashing this but am not sure so any advice on how to fix it by stopping the overheating or any other means would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, dan

Fujitsu-siemans scaleo P
768mb of ram over 2 dimm sockets
3.0 ghz amd athalon
128 radeon 7200se
80gb

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you unplugged the PC from the mains and checked the wiring to the fan

Is it VPU recover with an ATI card

dan00behave

dan00behave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yeah i have but the wiring is all inside the power box for the fan so i cannot get to it

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then sensor

Look on the right for temperatures and post those

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
First the R.A.M. How did your computer inform you your VPU had to be reset? make SURE your R.A.M. is pushed all the way in, I know that sounds stupid but if it isnt then a computer can still run on the 256 and it will have problems with the other 512 stick.
make sure the timings are set to the lowest numbers of each stick. and for the fan is your processors fan still running, and was the CPU fan dependent on the other fan to move air around? Only if you answered yes to one of those questions should you have to worry about over heating due to a lack of air movement. fixing any r.a.m. problems would fix any other over heating issues. RIGHT NOW you should check once again BOTH STICKS OF R.A.M. are in ALL the way the mobo in that computer sometimes has problems with that. Then if that doesnt fix anything you should check the timings, and if that doesnt work I will talk about agp apeture size and Video shadowing.

dan00behave

dan00behave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok to my first question: i have installed the software and came up wid the folowing temps
motherboard:42 c
CPU :75c
aux: 31c
seagate: 33c

to my second question: i have checked the ram and they are pushed in all the way wid the clips done up fine, the computer recognises all 700 mb of ram. i think that all the fans are now working as before. and im sorry but i have no idea about the timing of the sticks

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
75 degrees celcius seems very high. I would recomend going into the BIOS (which you can achieve by hiting F2 or DEL or some other F-key) and seeing if you can find a thing to select saying "load standard defaults" (try to aviod "optimized defaults" but if thats the only option the go for it) this should reset all things to the factory default settings. the fact that it is just your cpu that is so hot is wierd, but then again (im asuming at least), your computer had no problems before the R.A.M. which suggests the R.A.M. is at fault for the over heating then crashing of your system. The simplest way the R.A.M. could have caused that is by asking to much of your cpu (speed wise). Can you get the specs of your new stick? including the #'s which say something like (2-3-3-7, or 3-3-3-8 or 3-2-2-7 or something of that nature). and then post them. I dont know if it will help at all so you may want to wait on trying this, but you could download an ISO image file for CD or Floppy (of a program called MemTest) and boot from the disc, run memtest (the program) and see if the R.A.M. starts generating errors. Ill be back in a while I am getting a really crappy stop screen error.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Your new memory may, or may not, be causing a problem. However, for now I really wouldn't worry about that until you sort out the temps. DO NOT run any lengthy diagnostics at the moment (like memtest etc) until you sort out the cpu temp. 75C is WAY TOO HOT.

When you said the fan wasn't working, can you please clarify which fan you mean :

1) CPU fan - this is mounted above the cpu, directly on the motherboard. It will be sitting on top of a metal heatsink

2) PSU fan - this will be visible from the outside (rear) of the case. It will be right next to where the power lead plugs in to the PC

3) Case fan - this will be fixed to the case -usually front or back. It should be easily visible & accessible from inside the case.

4) Video card fan - this will be mounted directly on the video card

5) Chipset fan - this will be mounted directly on the motherboard but will be smaller than the CPU fan

dan00behave

dan00behave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok i have one fan that is directly mounted above my processor that is working fine ( in so far as it is turning). the one that is inside my power unit and attached to the back of my pc isnt working( isnt turning) also i am hearing a wierd high pitch whirring sound somtimes when my pc is doing somthing. is that enough info? btw i have reset my bios as was reccommended with no effect

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
What make is your PSU?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, if it's your power supply fan that's not working, then you must replace the entire power supply. I would advise you do this ASAP and do not use the PC in the meantime if possible.

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Samm I know your expretise on this matter is much greater then mine but how could the ps unit be responsible for the overheating?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I'm not saying it is entirely but you have to remember that in most cases the PSU is directly above the CPU. As the PSU will be generating much more heat than normal, it will have a knock on effect on the temperatures of everything else.

Apart from that, if the PSU fan isn't working, the PSU must be replaced as a matter of urgency. He can sort out the cpu temps etc afterwards.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
That true its a fire hazard if you have it on let alone have it left on without supervision. Make sure if you do get a new PSU get a good one not a Generic one get either Antec, Enermax or Hiper.