Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! Cannot find hard drive

• Please log in to reply

galateakp

galateakp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Last night I filled my D drive to capacity and installed 2 programs that were written by a friend. Today my computer froze and would not respond to CTRL+ALT+DELETE, so I manually restarted it. A black screen came up saying "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in the selected boot device and press any key." I tried inserting recovery disks and received a message saying "Cannot find hard drive confirm if hard drive is correctly connected." I removed the hard drive, checked the jumpers and reconnected it. I also tried using a start-up disk and was able to access drive A. And when in DOS I tried to access the C drive, it was unable to find it. I've also tried removing the battery from the motherboard to reset BIOS and PRI MASTER was not detected. PLEASE HELP... THANK YOU!!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi galateakp...

Have you tried the Safe Mode options? Reboot and tap the F8 key during the boot sequence. At the Safe Mode Options screen, try the following options:
  • Safe Mode
  • Last known good configuration
  • Safe Mode with a command prompt
Let me know if you can boot to any of the above.

wannabe1

galateakp

galateakp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for your reply, but the same thing happends. it doesn't start in safe mode either, i think because it doesn't find the hard drive. any other ideas? thanks very much!

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Hi galateakp
In my eyes, there are only two things, your mother board half dead(more of this) or your HD is gonner. You sounded like you know what you doing and you must agreed with me that you never got past HD detection, which is nothing to do with Windows. So, what I would do right now is take that HD shuff it in another machine and hope you can get every thing out of it first.
after all the backup done then you can come back to play with this machine. And what I mean by play includes swapping IDE, manually entr HD parameters, kicking,punching.........and call manufacture.
Good luck.