Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Grapics Card

• Please log in to reply

jrock8

jrock8

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am looking into buying a graphics and sound card. I dont need anything too fancy, ust enough to run a few games off of. Any advice? I am running windows xp with the 1.2 celeron

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could post in the games forum with a list of the games you want it to run, or edit your post to include that and I can move it to games

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
A celeron 1.2 is a pretty old computer. You probably have a AGP slot so i would suggest a Nvidia 6200 card since it has at least 4 pipelines which will play most games. The older 5200-5500 nvidia cards have only 2 pipelines. The more pipelines the better the pictures is and your frame rate stays higher. A step up would be the Nvidia 6600-6800 cards but the are twice as expensive at around $100. most of the 6600-6800 have 8 pipelines. Also the more memory on the card the better it is. Theres not too much difference between 128MB memory cards and 256Mb memory cards so go with the 256 if possible.

If you like ATI cards the 9600 series is equal to the nvidia 6600 series and the 9800 series is equal to the 6800 nvidia series.

Beyond these gets a little expensive as the 7800 series nvidia and the X700-800 series ATI cards start prices are at $150 and up.

SRX660