Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading hard drive w/ Ghost

• Please log in to reply

drmull

drmull

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hello -

I'm going to upgrade my HD using Norton Ghost. The old HD is 40GB and the new one is 160GB. How do I make sure the unused space on the new disk is usable after cloning from the old one - or does Ghost take care of this at some point in the process?? Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Ghost will take care of it.

And if you have more than one partition, Ghost will dynamically resize the partitions as well.

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thanks very much, Neil. I'm still trying to decide if I want to simply upgrade my single drive or do a RAID1 array with 2 new big drives. If I use Maxtors they come with MaxBlast software that will detect a new SATA drive and migrate the data from the old IDE drive to the new SATA drive. I found a good tutorial on the process - see if you think the info looks good! RAID1 array