Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sony Viao PCG-V505BX Recovery CD

• Please log in to reply

arabcamel

arabcamel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
So I have a 3 year warrenty with Best buy. I take my fried 40 Gig hard drive to best buy and they replace it with a 60 gig hard drive. they tell me to buy the recovery cd from sony and give it to them to install. I told them I'll buy it and install it myself. little did I know, that when I called sony, they don't make the recovery CD for this laptop anymore, and the laptop isn't even 3 years old. I installed a retail version of windows XP pro, and went to sony's driver and downloads website and downloaded all of the drivers and updates. but STILL, I don't have the ability to use my function key to turn up and down the volume and the brightness of the screen. It was a program called "hotkey utilities" or something like that. I need the recovery CD for that program and they don't have it anymore. I also don't have other functions that I can't do without getting the recovery CD's. I did NOT lose the originals, this laptop never came with recovery CD's. I can't even make recovery CD's right now because that's another program i don't have that I originally had on my computer. Sony said there is nothing they can do for me, and best buy said that the warrenty is for hardware only and they would ask sony for the cd's anyways, so they cant do much for me either. I think my only option is to somehow find someone that already has the recovery cd's for this exact model and copy them from that person.

Can you please give me ANY advise on what I could or should do? Or even help me find someone that has this exact model and has the recovery CD's. I will pay that person for the copies.

thanks in advance!!!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You might try this place to see if they have the drivers you need.

http://www.driverdisks.com/sony.htm

They have a phone number you can call to check to see if the drivers you need are on their CD's.

You could also look at the driversguide.com website to see if they have them. You will have to join but thats really not a hassle.

SRX660

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I went to the link you gave me and they do have it. I'm gonna try calling them or just buy it and see if it has everything I need on it. thank you. do you have any other ideas in case that doesn't work? Any other similar websites or companies?