Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

URGENT: Windows failed to initialize properley.

• Please log in to reply

Quari

Quari

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi, I had posted this problem here a while ago but, after having been instructed to post my problem in the Malware forum first to see it could be solved there, I am returning to this forum after having been certified that my problem is NOT malware related.

Every now and then whenever I log on to Windows I am greeted with the following message:

"Windows - Application Error

Windows failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application"

When this message comes up, the Start bar and my desktop icons fail to load at all and I have to log off through the Task Manager and try logging on again before I have any success with actually accessing my area. Upon this my computer if frequently unresponsive and generally slow. This has been happening occasionally and I can't see any pattern in the way it does so...

Thanks!

Edited by Quari, 18 June 2006 - 02:00 PM.

Advertisements

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Do you have your Windows disk?

Go into your BIOS, usually by pressing the F2 key during boot up. It should tell you on the screen which key to press.

Change the boot order to boot from CD first and leave your disk in the drive.

When it boots to the CD, choose the Recovery Console and enter your admin password. If you can't remember setting one, leaving it blank usually works.

Type expand d:\i386\wininet.dl_ c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll

(where d: is the drive of your CD-ROM)

Then type EXIT and when the pc reboots, you should be able to boot into XP.

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi - thanks for the quick reply.

I followed the instructions as listed, I'm fairly sure I'm using the correct CD - it's titled: "Reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 1"

When changing the booting sequence I had the choice between three options: "Diskette", "Hard-Disk Drive C:" and "IDE CD-ROM Device" - not knowing which one to chose, I tried all three.

The one that got me furthest was the CD-ROM Device - I got up to the stage of loading the Recovery Console - however, I was not asked for a password and the only input I was asked to make was: "Which Windows installation would you like to log onto?" I tried inputting what you had instructed but all I was allowed to input was a single digit - nothing more...

Thanks again!

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts

If you have a Windows XP Recovery CD-ROM, then you may not have the option to select "Recovery Console".
For such cases, Microsoft have made the Windows XP setup process (to get to the Recovery Console) available as
a download via Q310994 in different languages (note: there are different downloads for the Home and Professional Edition).
You have to execute the download file, which will create 6 boot floppies. You then can boot from the first floppy :
You will get first the message : "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration..."

Johanna

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
It souns as though you are getting into the Recovery Console. It is asking you to choose the Operating System to repair. Sometimes people have more than 1. It should have the number 1 next to it. Type 1 and press Enter. You should then be able to run the above command.

If not, try Johanna's suggestion.

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi,

I tried both of your attempts but, sadly, neither was to any success.

Inputting "1" when asked what system to repair did get me further and I was then asked for the password, upon leaving this blank I was then able to input what you instructed with the CD still in the drive. However, when I did so I was told that "there is no floppy disk or CD in the drive" - I repeated this several times to ensure that I had not made any typos and checked that the directory of the CD-ROM drive was as written but the same message was returned every time.

I then tried downloading the console onto the 6 floppy disks (I chose the SP1 option as that is what was written on my recovery CD) however when attempting to load from the disk directly I was told that there was a disk error and when attempting to load the file you specified off of the disk through the recovery CD there was again no success...

Thanks.

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
What about considering reinstalling Windows using your recovery CD?

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
If that would that mean having to compromise much of what I have saved on my system now (such as hardware and sofware installations) then I would rather try and find a solution first, if possible.

Many thanks!

Edited by Quari, 19 June 2006 - 08:05 AM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
RichP,
We don't usually recommend a reformat except in extreme cases, and this user does not want to lose his configs and data. Try a System File Check with that XP cd.

Start > Run > cmd then type
sfc /scannow
(note the space)
you will be prompted for your XP cd.
sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

System File Checker (sfc)
Scans and verifies the versions of all protected system files after you restart your computer.

HTH
Johanna

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi, I've just performed the "scannow" - shall I restart and see if symptoms persist?

Thanks

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Yes, and please let us know how it turns out, good or bad. If you still get the error, we have a few more tricks up our sleeves.

Johanna

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi - when logging back in I did not receive the error - but it doesn't always appear anyway so I cannot be entirely sure that it's gone. Generally. the system is somewhat better but it is still relatively slow and unresponsive - it's taken me approximately 20 minutes just to log on, connect to the internet and be able to type this message to you!

Thanks so much for your help, hopefully these other options you've got planned will improve things further!

Edited by Quari, 19 June 2006 - 01:59 PM.