Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry edit disabled by administrator

• Please log in to reply

Ramraj

Ramraj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
While opening any system files including Run program,or folder view options in explorer, the program opens but closes in a flash.When I tried to Run regedit program the msg says"Registry editor disaabled by administrator".The administrative tools from control panel opens but closes immediately.No editing possible.Tried Windows XP repair, nil fix. Pl help.System restore to a previous date tried. nil fix.(Operating system windows XP pro)

Edited by Ramraj, 18 June 2006 - 02:47 PM.

Advertisements

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
When you first start up your computer, do you have a log-in screen where you choose an account?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got XP Pro?

Ramraj

Ramraj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes I have the start up screen/welcome screen though slow. Also I can seen couple of sysem related windows just flashing and going off prior to windows desktop .I have Norton anti virus and Zone alarm running as well

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Can you log into the real admin account? Tap control-alt-delete twice on the Windows Welcome screen, and type "Administrator" and the admin password.

Johanna

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
You should be able to boot and edit the registry with BartPE.
You will have to change the DWORD value from 1 to 0 in order to enable the regeditor again.

http://www.patheticc.../index.php?p=28

Backup the Registry BEFORE making any registry alterations.

Edited by acklan, 18 June 2006 - 09:31 PM.