Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Problem?

• Please log in to reply

dbnffc1

dbnffc1

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
My computer restarts to a screen that is blue and it says this:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent further famage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If it appears again, follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you may need.

Technology Information:
***STOP: 0x00000050 (0x80D50708, 0X00000000, 0X804E374B, 0X00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Contact system administator"

Sometimes when I am on games on my PC (recently) my PC freezes and I ahve to restart it. Also, I get errors that say a serious error has occured and a log file has been saved in ...

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop

Download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Using Memtest

dbnffc1

dbnffc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
So, will this heal my PC or will it help distinguish the problem? I ran that scan and it just kept asking for the disk so I think there are missing files. Will get back to you about the memtest and the other scan.Thanks for your help again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Missing files won't help so tracking an XP CD down will be good

dbnffc1

dbnffc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
OK, will do my best to track one down. And will get back to you.

dbnffc1

dbnffc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey! Just a couple of issues. I managed to get hold of a Windows XP disk, I am currently on another PC (not mine) as Memtest is still running and has been for over 20 hours now! I have done every step you have told me to. the "sfc /scannow" action you told em to do didn't bring up any errors it popped up for less than a second, didn't show any progress and then went. The memtest is the problem though however, when does it stop! It has also found many errors. What else do I have to do when it has finished scanning? It is taking a very long time!

PS Thanks for your help and sorry it has taken a long time to respond

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You have to manually stop memtest, which you can do now, it would have shown any errors by now

Right click the tasbar, click taskmanager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow then press enter

dbnffc1

dbnffc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Oh right! So how are these errors fixed? What does sfc /scannow do if I have already done it?

dbnffc1

dbnffc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
OK I have stopped Memtest and am currently back on my computer. I have Right clicked the tasbar, clicked taskmanager, clicked file, new task, typed sfc /scannow then pressed enter. The progress bar came up for a second then dissappeared again. Now what?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is the XP CD you have borrowed the same version as was originally installed on your PC

Advertisements

dbnffc1

dbnffc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
What do you mean?How do I find out? Do you mean Professional/Home? If so yes they are the same. Both professional.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it say Professional with SP1 (SP1a)

Did you download SP2

dbnffc1

dbnffc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yes I have downloaded SP2. It doesn't say whether it is SP1/2 on the disk though.

dbnffc1

dbnffc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yes I have downloaded SP2. It doesn't say whether it is SP1/2 on the disk though.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Has it got version 2002 on it