Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Memory Problem?

• Please log in to reply

dbnffc1

dbnffc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Where would it tell me? You are going to have to be more precise with me i'm afraid lol. I have no knowledge lol.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Version 2002 would be on the top right of the disc, you need to look at repairing it but you will need the same version CD and you will need your 25 character aplha numeric product key which should be on your PC tower

dbnffc1

dbnffc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Crikey it is all getting very complicated. The disk is a copy you see. No number on the top of my tower either!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Who installed XP on yours

Using a copy to repair a legitimate installation isn't a good move

dbnffc1

dbnffc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well I know nothing about it you see. I got the disk from my mate (the one I have now). I don;t know anything about what was installed. How can I fix it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If the one you borrowed is a copy then you can ignore it as far as using it on your PC

Did you buy it at a shop or second hand?

dbnffc1

dbnffc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Buy which? The one originally used to install XP? I don;t know. It wasn't me that installed it. It was my parent's friend.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you ask the friend about it, the XP CD can only be used on one PC anyway so they should have that for you to borrow

dbnffc1

dbnffc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I'm afraid I can't ask about it. We don't speak to him any more. He has moved away. Is there alternate ways?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It definitely needs to be a proper XP CD to run the repair install

Advertisements

dbnffc1

dbnffc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
So what shall I do?How will it make a difference?Is the problem unfixable then? Whilst I am talking to you, aI have another problem. My Windows Media Player doesn;t seem to recognise the TWO CD-Rewriters that I have, therefore I cannot burn music. I prefer to burn them through Windows Media Player. Also, when I try to access one of the drives it says it isn't accessible.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Ask around for an XP CD as running the repair will sort the problems

dbnffc1

dbnffc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I don't know anybody that owns one though.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You need an XP CD because has the files you need to replace the incorrect ones on there now

I can appreciate it isn't possible to magic one up, or the money to buy one but there aren't any real alternatives