Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound of laptop!

• Please log in to reply

Inferno

Inferno

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK my father gave me his old laptop because he bought a new one and didnt want to deal with the problems the old one had. So heres what I've got so far.

Its a MicronPC Transport LT laptop
It normally comes with a 20GB hard drive, but this one only has (or thinks it only has) 5GB
It normally comes with Windows 2000 but it had Windows XP when I got it.
It normally comes with a Creative Labs SB PCI (cant find anymore info than that, MicronPC sucks [bleep] on support)

I really don't want to bust it open to see if its got a 20 or 5 GB hard drive, is there any other way to find out?

Also I have never been able to get any sound out of the bugger, there is no installed audio hardware in the devices list. And the only drivers I can find are for 2000 or ME, which if I try to experiment with give me this lovely blue screen that says windows is being shut down to prevent damage to the system.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for system details

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything