Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

corrupted downloads

• Please log in to reply

sandrock86

sandrock86

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
My computer has been acting strangely lately. Many applications I download, if not all applications, are corrupted. I download game patches and they mess up my game and I have to install the game again. Zip and rar files are corrupted. Exe programs don't install properly. I think this has to do with a virus I recently removed but I have no idea what to do. I'm positive it doesn't have anything to do with the servers I get the files from - it's my computer for sure. Please help me.

Advertisements

Urto

Urto

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have this same problem alot with my new computer. Half of the programs I download cannot be run because they are corrupted, or when they are installing I am told many files were not installed properly, and then it doesn't run anyways. I don't think it's a virus because I've had this problem all week, since I got this comp. Hopefully, you'll get some answers. =(

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Are you sure you have removed all of the malware?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do you use Internet Explorer for downloads? Are you sure your computer is clean? What was the virus you removed, and how did you do it? When you download, do you "save" or select "open"?

Johanna

sandrock86

sandrock86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Do you use Internet Explorer for downloads? Are you sure your computer is clean? What was the virus you removed, and how did you do it? When you download, do you "save" or select "open"?

Johanna

I use Mozilla Firefox for downloads. Someone (on this website) helped me remove the virus and said I was all clean. The virus was a trojan called "winlogon hook" and I removed it using Ewido (i think) and removing some stuff with HijackThis. When I download I always use "save".

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Let's give your computer a good cleaning with Tune Up and see what happens.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Are you up to date on your windows software, and are you running SP2?

sandrock86

sandrock86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Are you up to date on your windows software, and are you running SP2?

Yes I'm up to date on my software and I am running SP2

I used Tuneup but now my downloads went from 200kbps+ to around 40kbps.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
If you think it made it worst, just a Restore Point to revert back to before the running of Tuneup.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Weird. I've never heard of Tune Up making the computer worse. :whistling:

Use System Restore to fix it. Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

I suspect either Malware, CPU problems, or hard drive problems. Speed Fan can tell me how your hard drive is, as well as other things, so we'll go with that first. I need to find a good CPU diagnostic program.

Please download Speed Fan and install it.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T.. Select your hard drive by using the drop-down box at the top. Now take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

NOTE: For certain computers, Speed Fan will not display accurate measurements. If the temperature wildly fluctuates or doesn't change at all, let me know, otherwise I will believe the mesurements are accurate.

Advertisements

sandrock86

sandrock86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok i ran speedfan and this is what I got:
Posted Image

sandrock86

sandrock86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok now my computer is being really weird. It just started crashing all of the sudden. I was only running a program and a couple of internet pages. Also, a couple times my internet connection went out for no apparent reason.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Let's see if your RAM is okay.

Download Memtest86 and save the file to your desktop.

After the file is downloaded an extract must be done to uncompress the file(s). To extract, right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract All" option. The extract option will let you choose where the files will be extracted to. To build a bootable floppy go the the folder where the files were extracted and click on the Install icon and put a floppy disk in the floppy drive. The floppy disk will appear to be unformatted by Windows after the install is complete.

To build a boot-able CDROM use your CD burning software to create an image from the un-zipped ISO file.

Once you create the floppy or CD, reboot the computer with the floppy or CD in your computer. This should start Memtest. The testing should beging automatically. If not, start it.

The testing cycle will repeat over and over, as long as you let it. Let it run for at least 1 hour. The longer you let it run, the more accurate the results. Let me know if it finds any errors or not.

PS, I found a program that claims to have some very powerful and thorough diagnostic tools. If Memtest doesn't find anything, and this tool is as good as it says, it will be the next thing you use.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 24 June 2006 - 08:08 PM.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Do you have a firewall intalled? Does it appear to be detecting any traffic at the time of the event?
Check the Event Viewer in Administrative Tools. If you have a error event please post it.

sandrock86

sandrock86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok I finally ran that memtest. I'm not sure if it worked or not it just said that it was starting the program in DOS and it had another line with the copyright. I ran it for an hour but no more lines came up. Is that how it's supposed to be? If it's not you might as well send me the other program you mentioned.