Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wanting to build first new computer

• Please log in to reply

oakland a

oakland a

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
hello all im new to the website, and im greatly thinking about building a computer mainly for gaming, and watchin dvd's. i know a little bit about computers like wat is the cpu, gpu, ram. i feel that i dont know enogh to build a computer i 've looked at various online stores where u can configure and buy, but that seemed like a hassle because all of the places r to expensive or cheap with bad reviews. so i want learn about building computers and maybe try to build one. so could u guys hepl me learn or direct me to a website with a good tutorial.

any help appreciated

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
hi and welcome to geeks to go,

google is your friend: type what you want and it shall be found!!

just type in computer building guides and it will probably display thousands of sites.

you have told us that you wnat the pc for gaming.
but what is your budget and what exactly do you want.

things to consider:

1. CPU
2. GPU
3. RAM (for gaming i would suggest a gig of PC3200[400mhz] RAM)
4. Motherboard
5. Hard Drives
6. Optical Drives
7. Case
8. Power Supply
9. Fans

for gaming people will say go AMD for multimedia people say Intel but the choice is yours.

depending on your budget and how much you are willing to spend and how patient you are, new technology is coming out within the next few months. Direct X 10 cards are coming out that wil be heaps more powerfull than DX9 cards out today (even the top end cards). also intle is bringing out a set of new processors that look extreamly promising

they are not out yet but when they do they probably will be very highly priced!
give us a budget and we will help you from there.

in the mean time cheack out these websites
www.newegg.com
and
www.tigerdirect.com

they will allow you to gage a bit of a budget.

troppo

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You might look at this website.

http://www.mysuperpc.com/

SRX660

=CrAzYG33K=

=CrAzYG33K=

• Pip
  • 9 posts
http://www.buildeasypc.com/
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/
Theses sites can help...
I suggest you go for an AMD processor if you're interested in gaming
http://forums.amd.com is a great place of support for AMD ! :whistling:

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
building a pc is fairly straightforward, the only problem you might have is installing the mobo, and thermal paste if ur gonna use it. here is a guide that a friend o mine made.

http://www.tech-foru...threadid=108120

its a picture guide and should help u a lot. also the ocing guides on this forum is REALLY good, i found it very helpful when i didnt no jack about it.

anywayz. when building a rig to fit ur needs, such as gaming and dvds. if ur gonna buy now, then your gonna want an AMD system, either the s 939 or the AM2 (s 940). it doesnt really matter, there isnt an increase in performance unless ur going to buy the FX-62 which is absurdly expensive.
its ur choice in the end. i'd stick with a s 940 only because i heard that amd is scrapping s 939, although i have no clue why. You'd definitely want dual core, but what sucks for AM2 is that they dont have Opterons. Which is, like, the only reason why anybody would get s 939. anywayz, so youd wanna get a 3800+ or 4000+ or 4400+,, not sure if there is 4000+ for AM2, havent checked them yet, but im sure that the 4200+ is still half the cache of 4400+, although 3800+ has the same cache, it has a pretty good price:performance ratio. so yeah either 4400+ or 3800+ or 4000+ or 4800+ or however much you wanna spend. now if ur buying sometime this summer then u definitely wanna wait for the release of the Conroe (intel core 2 duo) its a kickass cpu, from the specs seen at XtremeSystems, they are awesome, running superpi 1m d.ps, they are soon to hit single digit timings. thats crazy. anywayz. so yeah, it depends on when you want to buy.

as for other parts, when you pick the cpu u wanna go with we'll help u with the other parts.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
seriously if you can keep the cash in your wallet for another few months until conroe and DX10 comes out you will have an extreame computer.

there is absoulutly no point in buying a 939 system at the moment because in a few moths it will be outdated and you would have spent alot on buying/building your new system.

if you have a pc that is working fine at the moment wait. because your new pc will be vista ready and not to mention kickass!!!

if you can wait,wait it will be worth it in teh long run
promise :whistling:
troppo

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
i found a good article for you in my PC World magazine with images and stuff if you pick up the magazine its on 130 of the July 2006 issue.

Or if you wait a week or two it will be on the pcworld.com website

Pictures help...thats all....not spamming

O, I would like to say that building a PC is the best thing anyone interested in IT can do. YOU WILL BE AMAZED HOW MUCH YOU LEARN!

And read the dude above me....hes got a uber point^^

Edited by MOLEXRULZ, 19 June 2006 - 06:36 PM.

oakland a

oakland a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
well i know i want to get a am2 system. i know all about conroe but i could get a cpu to hold me for a year or so and then get another amd cpu based on the new k8l architecture. The problems i have building a computer is i dont want to go have maybe $2000+ and let it go to waste.
so here is wat i want to get

1. CPU-AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+(AM2)http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103751
2. GPU-either a 1900xtx or a 7950GX2(dont know ill probably upgrade with the secon gen of Dx10 cards
3. RAM-2 gigs(1gig sticks) dont know wat company
4. Motherboard- dont know all i know is i want it to be AM2 propably ATI for i heard the next ati card is supposed to be really fast. later on i get one Dx10 ati card and when games demand it maybe pick up a second
5. Hard Drives- dont know
6. Optical Drives-dont know probably one w/ a dvd burner
7. Case- dont know
8. Power Supply-dont know
9. Fans-dont know

im 15 years old so do u guys think im to young to build one.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

well i know i want to get a am2 system. i know all about conroe but i could get a cpu to hold me for a year or so and then get another amd cpu based on the new k8l architecture. The problems i have building a computer is i dont want to go have maybe $2000+ and let it go to waste.

2. GPU-either a 1900xtx or a 7950GX2(dont know ill probably upgrade with the secon gen of Dx10 cards
4. Motherboard- dont know all i know is i want it to be AM2 propably ATI for i heard the next ati card is supposed to be really fast. later on i get one Dx10 ati card and when games demand it maybe pick up a second
7. Case- dont know
9. Fans-dont know

You seem like to me, a hardcore gamer in mind... I suggest waiting until the new direct x10 drivers come out and buy a direct x10 compatable video card. All these current video cards will not support direct x10 at all... They will still work on dx10 games yes, but they will be forced to run in dx9 mode and thus you wont have all of your eye candy and you will loose fps aswell... quite abit in terms because dx10 is so much faster than dx9 is... The dx9 video cards will even have alittle trouble playing the first dx10 game from crytek. So, if you try and play one of the newer dx10 games coming soon with a direct x9 video card and dx9 drivers it wont be as smooth and exciting since you are infact a "HARDCORE" gamer.. You need to wait for Directx10!! You will be sorry if you are wanting to play Crysis the game from Crytek which will be the first dx10 game. If you play that game on dx9 and you are the kind of person that likes games with all high settings you will not be satisfied with the results... Crysis is a graphics demanding game and if you want it to look right and have all high settings you will need directx10 and a directx10 video card. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It may not seem like it now, but money doesnt go anywhere if you dont use it, in fact you get more if you keep it in a bank. youe $2000 will still be there in July buying and building now is just daft earliest possible time to buy is July when conroe and AMD price drop comes into effect. Waiting to the end of the year means DX10 is out and start of next year the new AMD chips but there is no word on performance its quite possible they wont be as fast as intels chips.

Advertisements

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
No, 15 is not too young...Im 16... I've built like 10 systems

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

It may not seem like it now, but money doesnt go anywhere if you dont use it, in fact you get more if you keep it in a bank. youe $2000 will still be there in July buying and building now is just daft earliest possible time to buy is July when conroe and AMD price drop comes into effect. Waiting to the end of the year means DX10 is out and start of next year the new AMD chips but there is no word on performance its quite possible they wont be as fast as intels chips.

The Intel conroe processors (core duo 2) are still not available in the usa yet for processors in a box to buy from like newegg and such..

They do offer some core duo 2 laptops but thats all I have seen so far.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

7. Case- dont know
9. Fans-dont know

you dont want a 4600+, if i remember correctly from s 939 4600+ has half the cache of 4400 and 4800, and im pretty sure its the same onto AM2, so just get a 4400+ and later on you can overclock it past the speed of a 4800+.

2. you dont want a 1900xtx or a 7950GX2 or a 7900GTX right now, if you have to buy NOW, get a 6600 GT then in 1 month get a G80 or better yet wait altogether.

3. Any of these companies are great: G.Skill, OCZ, Crucial, Corsair, Patriot, Muskin
4.MSI K9N Neo, its the K8N version for AM2
5. you want a 36GB Raptor for the OS and games and like photoshop and stuff, and a like 250GB Caviar for storage
6. NEC 3550A
7. Thermaltake Tsunami, or Thermaltake Armor or Kandalf
8. Antec TruePowerII 550Watt or Enermax Liberty (keep it above 500watts considering ur parts) or OCZ PowerStream or PC Power and Cooling, the PC P&C is by far the best PSU brand alive
9. fans usually come with thermaltake cases, and you can buy some more if u need to, you should by an aftermarket HSF, preferablly Thermaltake Big Typhoon

Im also 15 years old and building my rig this summer.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It shows you are 15 Tru Techie.

Thermaltake make ok cases but they arent the best shop around see what you can afford and what features you want. You dont want a raptor they arent as good as the look and 36Gb is barely enough for an OS and a game or two. Optical drives get what is on special and matches the case specs are all similar its rare for one to be so much better than another to make it worth getting it especaily.

No need to get an aftermarket HSF adviable on P4s but on AMD and new intels its not needed.

Core 2 is out in July there will be a slow rollout to parts suppliers availability from builders will be better for the first couple of weeks.

PC power and cooling? who are they never read a review on one of their PSUs online or in a magazine and i no one that uses them or even anywhere that sell them either. Cant be that good.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
You should wait intill the new stuff comes out like DX10 and the new CPUs. I only just upgraded but im only wanting to play BF2 and CS:S etc so not the latest. Oh BTW if you do upgrade dual core athlons do nothing really for frame rate as the single cores get higher fps.