Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wanting to build first new computer

• Please log in to reply

oakland a

oakland a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
well i aprreciate ur guy's feed back and recomendations. I've found something else that has confused me is setting jumpers on a motherboard. Also near the release of conroe i'll list the things ill want to get and see wat u guys think

Edited by oakland a, 03 July 2006 - 03:05 PM.

Advertisements

oakland a

oakland a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
bump

oakland a

oakland a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
anybody^^

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Which jumpers?

What is written next to the jumpers

oakland a

oakland a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I was reading on tutorials on how to build a computer which i've got down pretty good except in the sections on installing the motherboard they say set the jumpers on the mother board and srew into the case. My question is what do they mean by jumpers and how do u set them up.

Thx in advance

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you are going to use a brand new motherboard you really dont have to worry about jumpers anymore. I don't think i can name one computer i've built in the last 2 years that has any jumpers at all. I built gigabyte, MSI, Intel, Foxconn, abit, FIC, and some others makers boards. None have had jumpers. Some of the tutorials on the internet are a few years old so they might have had jumpers on the Mb's when they were making the tut's.

I just built a intel D101GGCL MB computer and it was a little strange that to get into the BIOS you had to change a jumper on the motherboard, then change the jumper back to boot the computer. I had to do this because the customer wanted a Audigy sound card over the on-board sound. Its the first time i've seen that.

SRX660

oakland a

oakland a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i again appreciate the feedback, i came here unsure and now i feel confident about building a pc. Also its getting closer to the core 2 duo release date im gettin the 6600, so which conroe motherboard if out now or is coming out would u guys recommend

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Good question I am asking myself the same thing. From what I've read elsewhere the new Conroe chips will only be compatible with 965 and 975X socket 775 motherboards, older 975 boards are not compatible. At the moment I you browse newegg there are some compatible boards but I have no idea about anything new coming so someone else must answer that...

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Some Core 2 Duo Supported Motherboard's

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
But do you know if there is like a new generation of mobo's coming out?

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
These are the new generation of motherboards.....

There would be more in these chipsets when or after the processor is availiable before any new releases....

Edited by sarahw, 07 July 2006 - 01:57 PM.

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
ohhh i see... :whistling:
ok thanks for the heads up!