Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer restarts unexpectedly and without warning

• Please log in to reply

Brent788

Brent788

• Pip
  • 7 posts
5 times in the last 24 hours my computer has just shut down unexpectedly. It's as if the power is cut to it. Within a second it restarts, and is then fine. No errors, no warnings, no freeze ups. I am running Windows XP and have some ideas, but cannot figure out the problem.

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
It may be heat related. When was the last time you cleaned out the inside of your case?

Brent788

Brent788

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

It may be heat related. When was the last time you cleaned out the inside of your case?

Oh it's been a very long time. Not good, but I just don't do it like I should. I'm not even completely sure how to do it.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Here is a step by step on how to clean your computre. It is not very difficult.

http://www.bleepingc...utorial118.html

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
If you still have the issue after cleaning it, or would rather avoid cleaning it, then please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

Overheating tends to freeze the computer rather than shut it down. Computers with certain sensors and safeguards do shut the computer down when overheating though...so it is definately possible that is the cause.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 18 June 2006 - 10:37 PM.

Brent788

Brent788

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It was fine last night after I posted and then all morning. Apparently while I wasn't on a little while ago it restarted on it's own again.

Here's my HijackThis log.

Attached Files

Edited by Brent788, 19 June 2006 - 01:42 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
There's a few things in there I'd like to get taken care of, but nothing that could cause your symptoms. Let's collect a bit more info before we do anything.

Please download Speed Fan and install it.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T.. Select your hard drive by using the drop-down box at the top. Now take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

NOTE: For certain computers, Speed Fan will not display accurate measurements. If the temperature wildly fluctuates or doesn't change at all, let me know, otherwise I will believe the mesurements are accurate.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 19 June 2006 - 04:51 PM.

Brent788

Brent788

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I downloaded Everest(sorry I couldn't figure out how to get to Speedfan), it has a Motherboard temperature of 48-49 degrees C and the CPU at 55.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
there's much more info that Speed Fan gives me than Everest. I wish I could just give you a direct link, but they don't allow that for some reason...

Go to the site, click Download at the top. Look at where it says SpeedFan 4.28 in blue (towards the middle-left). Click on that. That is the dowload link.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 19 June 2006 - 09:22 PM.

Brent788

Brent788

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
http://i26.photobuck...88/Speedfan.jpg

http://i26.photobuck...8/HardDrive.jpg

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Looks like we got a couple of issues here.

1. Overheating This must be addressed or damage could occur I don't think this is your problem, but it could become your problem in the future.

Check all internal fans to make sure they are functioning. Clean out interior with canned air. Make sure the computer is not in an enclosed area, that it does not receive proper ventalation.

2. Hard drive errors The SMART data of your hard drive indicate many Raw Read Errors. Raw read errors mean that the magnetic media inside the drive is no longer capable of reliably storing information in that sector. In many cases, this leads to a cascade of data errors on the drive.

If you value your data, replace the drive now! Odds are this is the entire cause of your problem!

That's why I don't use Everest. It's not as useful as Speed Fan. :whistling:

Brent788

Brent788

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK. Well thanks.

*goes to research that now* :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Alrighty, but get ready to back up all your data. The Raw Read Error problem is a critical issue that will only get worse as time goes on.

Don't wait until it's too late! :whistling: