Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gigabyte MB - RAID controller

• Please log in to reply

drmull

drmull

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 motherboard and I want to set up a RAID1 array. Does anyone know if this MB has an onboard "software" RAID controller or do I have to buy a PCI card controller?? I saw this on a description of the MB:

"NVIDIA nForce3 150 Platform Processor
Super I/O: ITE IT8712F chip
Integrated Peripherials
Silicon Image sil3512 controller
GigaRAID ATA 133 RAID controller
T.I. IEEE1394 controller
Realtek 8110S Gigabit Ethernet controller
Realtek ALC658 Audio AC'97 Codec"

Another site had this listed under "RAID features" - Software RAID 0/ 1 / 0 + 1/ JBOD

And this on Gigabyte's site- " In addition, the Serial ATA interface is furnished with RAID 0,1, 0+1 (including IDE ATA 133 interface) function for extra performance enhancement and data protection."

I'm just trying to make sure all I need are a couple of identical SATA drives. If I don't have to buy a hardware controller card, that's great! Thanks

Advertisements

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
The Onboard Raid controller is :Silicon Image sil3512