Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sp2 wont install, been through all of microsoft help guide

• Please log in to reply

tuscan440

tuscan440

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok im cleaning up my mates pc which is a right mess but after a couple hours the only thing i have left to do is install windows update.since ive been working on it none of the windows updates will install and the system will also just stop programs during mid scan like spybot and ccleaner. it didnt have sp2 so tried to download it. wasnt able to download it from microsoft because the yellow 'actvie x control' bar wud never appear at the the top so got it from another site but even still when i try to run it it will start on the 'inspecting current files' phase and not do anything for like 2 mins the tell me the 'cryptoagrahic service is not running' yet when i look in services it is running and and has an automatic start. have tried several restarts and all the recommendations form the microsoft website which included renaming catroot2 folder, reinstalling catroot2 files and checking for explorer certificate verification.

any ideas cos i am stumped!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got automatic updates and Background intelligent transfer services started

Have you updated the windows installer

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
yes i have but it still wont work, one thing ive notcied tho is that i cant edit the catroot2 folder as it says that another program is already using it. yet ive got the system processes down to a minium and it is still running even in safe mode. any idea what it could be??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
my mate doesnt have the xp cd, but i can use my copy or will the different license not allow it to run??
just tried it again and shud add that in the error message it also says that the verify the integrity of the update.inf file. if that helps at all

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as your CD is the same version, you are replacing the system files so the product key isn't needed

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
no im afraid that doesnt work either, can i repair windows using my cd??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as you use the product key for the PC, not the one from your CD

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok, is this likely to fix the probelm??? if so how do i got about doin it???

if not im lookin at this fix online (the article in grey towards end of page, email from swiss chap) but i cant locate local computer or group policiy folder.
http://www.updatexp....ic-service.html

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Advertisements

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
it wont boot from the cd, ive made the cd rom the primary booting device and the hard drive the secondary on but it just carries on and starts up windows, how do i avoid this??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as you pressed F10 to save and typed Y to confirm, boot the PC and keep tapping the enter key

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
appreciate your help keith but i press f10, it saves but pressing y does nothing, so i press enter to confirm yes (the settings are saved next time i enter setup) and the keep tapping enter during boot up but it still just starts up in windows.
at start up it does is say press esc to enter boot mode but there are loads of options and dont seem to have xp repair install.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are any of them load from the CD

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
no they are not, can i not do it through msconfig?? ive had a look but im not too sure if i can use one of the boot options