Background: I have a small business which I run from home. I need to be able to work with some of my files on a different computer and then have the changes automatically update when I go back to the main computer. From what I read, Briefcase is exactly what I need, but I need to use a CD-RW as a floppy is much too small.
Following is what I originally posted and the reply and my subsequent reply:
Briefcase seems like a good idea and it's much needed, but I can't work the thing. Floppy Disks are too small, but when I try to use my CD-rw, I get a message that says: Problem Copying. Briefcase Synchronizes files when you use two computers. I've tried the help and support, both on my computer and online and there is nothing addressing this problem, which is driving me mad!. Please please help!
Your trying to use briefcase for something its not meant to be used as. While you are trying to copy the files to a cd-rw windows briefcase is looking for a copy on the cd-rw to compare with.
The Briefcase feature in Windows XP helps you keep your files updated by automatically synchronizing multiple copies of individual files. In other words, Briefcase keeps track of the relationship between files on two or more computers.
So, instead of trying to burn a cd from briefcase, i would just copy the files in briefcase into your my documents folder and burn a cd-rw from there.
Sorry, I'm grateful you tried to help, but I don't understand your reply. Briefcase is for when you want to work on certain files on another computer and then when you go back to your main computer, Briefcase automatically updates the original files.
According to Microsoft (in the help as well as the website) the procedure is as follows:
- Insert a removable disk into a disk drive on your main computer.
- Open Briefcase, and then copy the appropriate files to Briefcase.
- Drag Briefcase to the disk. The files in Briefcase are copied to the disk.
- Remove the disk from your main computer and insert it into a disk drive on your portable computer.
- Open Briefcase from the disk and work on the files. When you are ready to synchronize the files, remove the disk from your portable computer and reinsert it into a disk drive on your main computer.
- Open Briefcase from the disk, and then do one of the following: To update all the files, on the Briefcase menu, click Update All.
To update only some of the files, select the files you want to update, and then on the Briefcase menu, click Update Selection.
My problem lies in step 3. I can do it with a floppy disk, but not a CD-RW. A floppy is no good to me as the files I need to work with are 200mb more than a floppy can take. When you try and drag and drop, or any other method I could think of, you get the message I said before.
If there's anyone out there that can save my sanity, please help! I think I've put down all the info I can think of, but if you need more- tell me!!!!!