Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to use Briefcase with a cd-rw

• Please log in to reply

fern36

fern36

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
:whistling: Hello, thanks to anyone who can help. I posted this topic subject in Windows XP,2000, 2003, NT forum, which I think was a mistake, since I only got one reply, and that wasn't overly helpful. Either that or I wasn't clear enough. So, I'll try again!

Background: I have a small business which I run from home. I need to be able to work with some of my files on a different computer and then have the changes automatically update when I go back to the main computer. From what I read, Briefcase is exactly what I need, but I need to use a CD-RW as a floppy is much too small.

Following is what I originally posted and the reply and my subsequent reply:

Briefcase seems like a good idea and it's much needed, but I can't work the thing. Floppy Disks are too small, but when I try to use my CD-rw, I get a message that says: Problem Copying. Briefcase Synchronizes files when you use two computers. I've tried the help and support, both on my computer and online and there is nothing addressing this problem, which is driving me mad!. Please please help!

Your trying to use briefcase for something its not meant to be used as. While you are trying to copy the files to a cd-rw windows briefcase is looking for a copy on the cd-rw to compare with.

Microsoft says:

The Briefcase feature in Windows XP helps you keep your files updated by automatically synchronizing multiple copies of individual files. In other words, Briefcase keeps track of the relationship between files on two or more computers.

So, instead of trying to burn a cd from briefcase, i would just copy the files in briefcase into your my documents folder and burn a cd-rw from there.

SRX660

Sorry, I'm grateful you tried to help, but I don't understand your reply. Briefcase is for when you want to work on certain files on another computer and then when you go back to your main computer, Briefcase automatically updates the original files.

According to Microsoft (in the help as well as the website) the procedure is as follows:
  • Insert a removable disk into a disk drive on your main computer.
  • Open Briefcase, and then copy the appropriate files to Briefcase.
  • Drag Briefcase to the disk. The files in Briefcase are copied to the disk.
  • Remove the disk from your main computer and insert it into a disk drive on your portable computer.
  • Open Briefcase from the disk and work on the files. When you are ready to synchronize the files, remove the disk from your portable computer and reinsert it into a disk drive on your main computer.
  • Open Briefcase from the disk, and then do one of the following: To update all the files, on the Briefcase menu, click Update All.
    To update only some of the files, select the files you want to update, and then on the Briefcase menu, click Update Selection.

My problem lies in step 3. I can do it with a floppy disk, but not a CD-RW. A floppy is no good to me as the files I need to work with are 200mb more than a floppy can take. When you try and drag and drop, or any other method I could think of, you get the message I said before.

If there's anyone out there that can save my sanity, please help! I think I've put down all the info I can think of, but if you need more- tell me!!!!! :blink:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which CD Writing software have you got?

Are the PC's on a home network

fern36

fern36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I think i've got nero, but i never use it (the instructions are for computer literate people). I just use XP. And no, they aren't on any network. The other computer is in someone elses house. Thanks for looking at this.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you make a data CD or even DVD Nero will update them

You work on the files on either PC, when you have made all the changes to the file(s) you insert the CD / DVD and Nero will update what is on the CD with what is in the folder, it does not even have to be briefcase

Take the updated disc to the other PC and copy from it to a folder on the PC which has the same name

fern36

fern36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank you very much, I will try it. Will Nero have detailed procedure to make a data cd? If it does, I can then get someone to translate! Thanks again

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which version of Nero have you got

6 or 7

fern36

fern36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Me again! I just had a look on Nero Help and couldn't see where to look find this procedure. I don't wish to sound ungrateful, could you just direct me where to look for the instructions? Thanks again

fern36

fern36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
crossed posts! I've got nero 5

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Create a folder with the same name on each PC then create sub folders within it on either PC

When you click the desktop icon for Nero which options does it give, usually there are a number of symbols at the top, if you hold the cursor over any of them it will list what you can do, you are looking for make data disc / CD

fern36

fern36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i haven't got it on the desk top, and i just right clicked it and didn't get a send to option. when i go to it in programs i have the following options:Nero Tool Kit> Nero CD Speed or Nero Drive speed; Users guides>empty; Nero Burning ROM; Nero Cover Designer; Nero Express; Nero Wave Editor.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, Nero, Nero burning ROM, does this open a box with options

You don't need to right click it

fern36

fern36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm sorry, my 6 year old needed me!

No there are no options, and when I click on it I go to the program Nero Burning Rom and the Nero Wizard comes up.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is free, can you see how you get on with it

http://www.snapfiles...cdburnerxp.html

Have only used Nero 6 and 7 so haven't a clue what 5 looks like, sorry

fern36

fern36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
So, would it do the same as you said? I can copy data files to a CD and work on it on a different computer and when I put the CD in it will automatically up date? I'm going to look at it now.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Test it on a set of files, keep the originals on the drive

Nero 6 is readily available and quite cheap usually