Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop without wi-fi installed.

• Please log in to reply

Neets

Neets

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Trying to connect a Linsks Wireless G Router to a laptop for wi-fi access, not succeeded so far. This might be a silly question but do I need a PCMIA card in the laptop as well? :whistling:

I am doing this to help a friend who is a newbie to computing, so do not want to bust anything :blink:

Best wishes Neets

Advertisements

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Does it definitely not have in-built wireless? Check Device Manager (hold down the Windows key and press Pause/Break > Hardware tab > Device Manager) and look under Network Adapters.

If not, yes you need a PC card or get a USB adapter.

Neets

Neets

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:whistling: Thanks Rich, I will have a look at that issue and then get back to you. I will print off the info on the how to do tutorial too on Networking. Thank you very much for your prompt response, its much appreciated.

Neets

Neets

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Checked in the Device Manager and this was what I found

1394 Network Adaptor
Realtek. RT813G USB Cable Modem

Texas Instruments PCI-1410 Card Bus controller

So might need to start over from scratch tomorrow following the networking tutorial on here.
I am still a little confused with the wi-fi thing per se in relation to laptops which are mobile. Surely you need a network card to communicate with the router? Forgive my ignorance and feel free to use a hammer to bash the message home if I am not getting it.

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
No in-built wireless capability then.

Older laptops don't tend to have them.
I don't know where you are, but here in the UK I'd buy something like this or this.

Neets

Neets

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi RichP I live in Yorkshire UK hence the avatar Ey-up! Very many thanks for clarifying this issue. I shall get her sorted out tomorrow, wish me luck and thanks again for sticking with me on this issue. I really appreciate the time you have taken with this silver surfer.

Cheers,