Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen help please....

• Please log in to reply

par5

par5

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWAR
Beginning Dump Physical Memory
Physical Dump Memory Complete
Contact your System Administrator or Technical Support
Group for assistance.

how can i fix this? is there a step -by-step to repair this... :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi par5...

Can you boot to Safe Mode with Command Prompt?

Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to access the Safe Mode Options screen, choose to start your computer in "Safe Mode with a command prompt".

Type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe at the command prompt, and then press "Enter"...Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Let us know how you fare...

wannabe1

par5

par5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks ..no.i get '''
windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
windows\system\vgaoem.fon
you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cd-rom.
select 'r' at the first screen to start repair..

i dont think i have the setup disk...

thebucs

thebucs

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
try this it may work

1/ Restart your PC
2/ Keep tapping the F8 Button until a menu appears
3/ When the menu appears use the UP and DOWN arrow keys to select the ‘Last known good configuration’ option.
4/ Once selected press Enter
5/ Your PC should now reinstall the ‘last know good configuration file’
6/ Restart your PC and see if the problem has been solved

let me know if this worked. if not there is another method, but it is very long and difficult, and you will need a xp cd. a

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can also try this if you can borrow a CD

1. Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, please refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer.

2. Insert the Windows XP compact disc into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

3. When the Press any key to boot from CD dialog box is displayed, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP compact disc.

4. When the Welcome to Setup screen is displayed, press R to start the Recovery Console.

5. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, select the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.

6. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password, and then press ENTER.

7. At the command prompt, type map, and then press ENTER.

Note the drive letter assigned to the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP compact disc. It is displayed in a format similar to the following:

D: \Device\CdRom0

8. Type the following line, and then press ENTER (where CD-ROM drive is the letter of the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP compact disc, and drive is the letter of the drive on which Windows is installed):

expand CD-ROM drive:\i386\vgaoem.fo_ drive:\windows\system

For example, type the following:

expand d:\i386\vgaoem.fo_ c:\windows\system

Note the underscore character after the "o" in "Vgaoem.fo_".

You receive the following message: Vgaoem.fo_
1 file(s) expanded.

9. Type exit.

The computer restarts.

10. Remove the Windows XP compact disc from the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then start the computer normally.

thebucs

thebucs

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
also if you borrow a disk, and all else fails, here is a link from microsoft for this issue. very long fix. be sure to read the Warning that they have there before you try this fix

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

par5

par5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
when i try to start in ‘Last known good configuration’ option i get this ..i hit r i goes right back to here..what should the setup disk say on it ?i have a few i got with the computer..

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
windows\system\vgaoem.fon
you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cd-rom.
select 'r' at the first screen to start repair..

i have the XP cd

Edited by par5, 20 June 2006 - 03:23 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have a look at this Microsolft Article. There are instructions on the page that will address the issue you have.