Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes

• Please log in to reply

karlbond88

karlbond88

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Basically i play either UT2K4 or a HL2 based game (DODS or CSS) and it will run fine for a while, then all of a sudden the whole computer will freeze, with no drop in FPS or anything, just instantly freezes.

I have had this for some time, i have updated my GFX card drivers and it doesn't help.

My PC Spec is:

Intel P4 3.2Ghz Prescott
1GB DDR RAM
Geforce 6600GT 256MB 256-bit
20GB Western Digital IDE HDD (i thought it might be this, its from my old pc)

Please anyone with any solution please help, i don't want to have to format my computer.

Thanks...

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
The drop in preformance (lower frame rate) may be a heat issue. Are all of your fans turning? Is the intake on your computer blocked?

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

The drop in preformance (lower frame rate) may be a heat issue. Are all of your fans turning? Is the intake on your computer blocked?

no i said there is no drop in performance, but yes my fans are turning and all intake and outake fans are functional. my processor has a really good fan attaches to it too. But again there is no drop in performance, but my processor does reach 50C but iv'e been told that prescotts to run hot but still my FPS is fine.

Just so you know i build this computer myself and that the case is an coolermaster wave master.

Edited by karlbond88, 19 June 2006 - 08:17 AM.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I am sorry. I misread your topic.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
game freezes, I find, are most often memory related.

You have 1gb of memory--how many sticks? Remove one, run the game, if it freezes, remove the second and reinsert the other and see if it freezes

Check out memtest86 + as well

http://www.memtest.org/

Run at least three passes....even if it checks OK, I would still suspect the memory, or memory settings. In bios, see if you can downgrade the memory timings and see if things improve

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok i have downloaded that program, the thing is i have ran out of CD's (im asuming you have to burn it on to CD to use in DOS) if it passes the tests what other factors could be causing my computer to freeze. Although you are right, in college today my teacher was talking about RAM and he said all the different data need to be kept isolated from eachother, otherwise it causes a deadlock.

Could it be a deadlock i keep getting. i have a program i downloaded ages ago called 'FreeRAM XP Pro' i have tried it with and without it, still freezes.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
free ram programs are largely useless.

If ram clears the tests, I would turn to heat or power supply, but even if the ram passes, I still find removing it and replacing with known good ram solves many of these issues

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
what speeds the RAM running at? i get it sometimes but only for a few seconds

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
karl please only post in your own thread

I have your report from the other thread.

did you swap out the memory?

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
yes i did swap the memory, ran the tests and it was fine, no errors. Sorry for posting in the other thread, won't happen again.

Edited by karlbond88, 19 June 2006 - 03:25 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and it is still freezing?

(when you swapped the memory, did you only use existing memory, or were you able to pull some from a different machine?

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
i could use my dads memory from his HTPC, but he wont let me so i used mine but one at a time, the 1st one lasted 8 mines before freezing, the 2nd lasted 12 mins then froze.

I think it is my HDD, it's from an old 600 Mhz PC, i know my old one was so lame. im going to get a Raptor soon so that will help but until then im stuck with this old one.

I am also running Windows XP on the FAT32 file system, ii should be running it on NTFS, will this affect it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I do not so much think it is fat32, but perhaps a failing drive\\\

start > run
cmd
<enter>

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

say yes, then reboot

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok i have run chkdsk, i shall now test and see if it has solved the problem

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok i have tried to run the game again, still freezes. urgh this is so annoying. any other ideas?