Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer freezes

• Please log in to reply

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I will ask my dad if i can check by using his RAM from his HTPC, but if it still freezes then it definatly is the RAM, if it doesn't freeze then can't i get my RAM replaced, warrenty still on the RAM.

If it isn't then it has to be a failing hard drive because i have this fan on my CPU:

http://www.quietpc.c...ng/cnps9500-led
and i have two intake fans with one outake fan. my GFX card has a fan on it so all of the core componants except the hard drive is being cooled.

is there an app i can use to test my HDD apart from windows tools?

Advertisements

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Click Download in the uppermenu, then click "SpeedFan 4.28" in the second paragraph.

Click on S.M.A.R.T. tab.

There is a lot of info there and computerwiz12890 can help you with that.
(Sorry computerwiz12890, if you didn't want me to refer this guy to you, but he needed help and you know this program :whistling:)

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thank you very much, i really appreicate it. I will give it a try

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok i checked the HDD using that software, 100% fitnessand 97% performance so it's not the HDD. i might just have to format :whistling:

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Are there any Raw Read Errors?

In that screen where you select your HDD, there is a little window beneat that.
It has all sorts of possible errors.
If there is a red dot infront of one, that error applies to your harddisk.

Is there also a temperature read of your other hardware?

And are you running with an AMD? If so, update all your drivers. AMD's tend to get screwed by SP 2.

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
nope i got a Pentium 4 3.2, there was no red dots, but i can't remember the temp of my HDD. There is one thing that might be causing it, i am using beta drivers from Nvidia so it could be that. When i go home il update the drivers to non-beta drivers and then try, if it carries on il have to find a few CD's and Format.

I never had this problem, it's only happaned within the last few months, but the occurence has risen. [bleep] computers

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would definitely not be using beta drivers....furthermore, if your dad's memory does not clear up the issue, I would pull the video card from his machine and insert it in yours as a test to see if the problem repeats

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok here is something weird, normally when i play a game it will only last like 12 mins, but this is on a certian map, lastnight i played on one map it lasted all the way through (20 mins) and 10 mins into another map, so that can only mean it is my gfx card (im using beta drivers)

I shall be home in a few hours so i will install non-beta drivers and then test it. fingers crossed. :whistling:

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok i have used my dad's RAM (it works normally) and my computer still crashes, i have checked my GFX card, processor temps, i have come to the conclusion that it is my HDD, i have a WDC WD205BA with 20GB capacity, it used an EIDE or IDE connection, i think it is EIDE.

Any advice?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I am sure that you ran chkdsk /r on this already, right

I really, seriously, doubt it is the harddrive.

Harddrive issues just do not reveal themselves in freezing

If memory is out of the way, and videocard is out of the way, I'd lean BIOS update or power supply

Advertisements

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
yes i ran chkdsk /r and it cam up with no errors.

its definatly not the memory, i used my dads memory andit was fine.

Videocard i doubt it, i got a GeForce 6600 and it works fine, it shows all shaders effects, specular lighting, bumpmaps, and normalmaps perfectly with no drop in frame rate and it can also display HDR Ligthing with no jumpiness or drop in FPS.

Powersupply maybe, i have a 425.5W powersupply, however i can play HL1 games for hours with no issues.

As for my motherboard, i have a Foxconn 865G7AF, not sure if it can be that.

HighFlyer15

HighFlyer15

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey I noticed you wanted to try a format, but from my own experiences this NEVER helps.. I've formatted my currently harddrive, maybe 10 times.. Not healthy, but I seriously only had that option left in a lot of situations..

I have the same problem.. Playing games, watching videos, listening to music.. Sometimes computer runs for days without a problem and sometimes I get to the Welcome letters and then it crashes up on me..

BUT don't format.. That's not the problem, if all of the other things you've done has failed..

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Well my dad has ordered me a new HDD, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 72,000 RPM with 16MB Cache. Hopefully once i have set that up and installed everything it will stop, because personally i think my current HDD (a crappy 20GB one from a 800Mhz pc) is the issue.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Maybe that might solve your issue, not because it's the new drive, but because it will be a clean install.

Still, it sounds like hardware, and not a harddrive

HighFlyer15

HighFlyer15

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Maybe that might solve your issue, not because it's the new drive, but because it will be a clean install.

Still, it sounds like hardware, and not a harddrive

yeah, I've tried the harddrive change a few times.. Never helped me..
But let us know.. :whistling: