Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes

• Please log in to reply

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I hope it does fix it, i had a virus before and i had to format my HDD, delete all partitions and then turn off the PC, then start again. I would do this but XP is an arse and wont just let you restart into DOS.

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
That is probably because Windows XP is not DOS based. Windows ME was the last Windows that used DOS as it's base.
I hope you realize that Formatting and deleting the partition(s) destroys all you data and your current install of Windows? If you deleted the partition and formatted the drive you will have to do a complete reinstall of XP.

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

That is probably because Windows XP is not DOS based. Windows ME was the last Windows that used DOS as it's base.
I hope you realize that Formatting and deleting the partition(s) destroys all you data and your current install of Windows? If you deleted the partition and formatted the drive you will have to do a complete reinstall of XP.

I am aware of this, i have purchased a new HDD, it is a Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7,200RPM with 16MB cache. I have installed XP with all my programs and files.

Superise Superise it still does it. Does anyone have a large sledge hammer because im gonna tear this f*cking PC to pieces if it keeps happening, it never used to do it, now it does.