Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank screen at startup

• Please log in to reply

wisefool

wisefool

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,

Just a while ago I booted my pc and the normal Windows XP logo with the bar at the bottom starts running. But when it was supposed to show the log on screen, the whole screen blacked out and it stayed like that. I rebooted my pc and it said something about an error in booting windows xp and that I had a choise of starting with:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Promt

Start windows with last known good configuration.

Start Windows normally.

I tried a few times booting my pc and chose the last two options several times but the result was the same - a blank screen. The lights on my keyboard (caps lock and numlock etc) was not on.

safe mode however did work and i am using this to run my computer now. i tried scanning for spyware and those sort of stuff and even tried system restore, but they all failed to work.

What is worse is that I have an assignment due in a few days and i DESPERATELY need my computer in the next few days and I cannot write my report with this flickery screen.

any help will be greatly appreciated. :whistling:

Regards
Wisefool

Oh and I can give you a hijackthis log if anyone asks for it.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in safe mode

start > run
cmd
<enter>

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

Say yes to schedule at next reboot....and reboot. Take a loooonnnnggg walk as this will take a while

wisefool

wisefool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes sir.

wisefool

wisefool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
You are THE champion. Ran the scan, and when it finished, it didnt even ask for the problem, said my disk was clean and it worked straight away. Thank you so much! Gerryf I am in your debt. :whistling:

Just one question though... how did disk check fix my problem? It didnt even ask for treatment like the antivirus utilities would.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the disk check with the /r switch performs an intense disk check that does multiple things.

It could have fixed the issue in several ways

The simplest thing that could have been wrong is the master file table had an error and that windows thought a critical windows file was in a different place than it was. The disk check corrects these errors.

A more complex issue is that a critical system file was located on a bad part of the harddrive--disk check will re=read the bad section over and over again trying to recover the file or file parts and if successful, move the file to a good part of the disk and mark the bad spot as unusable

This does not mean your harddrive is failing. Windows sets aside a certain amount of space on a drive during setup to be used for this. Most harddrives have small, minor defects and windows is designed to work around these things.

If the problem recurs over and over, then you should consider a new drive as this indicates an issue that is getting worse

wisefool

wisefool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thanks again :whistling: